+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics 1200 bearing maintenance

I'm Al.

Default Technics 1200 bearing maintenance

Hi all,

Just a quick post about Technics 1200 bearing maintenance.

Credit must go to the guy who made this YouTube video:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQvcyh8LZ6Q.

I followed this and it really helped. One thing the video doesn't show is the little cylinder clip that holds the bearing in its brass cylinder. Removing this clip (I used my finger nails) allows you to remove the bearing from the cylinder (you can leave the bearing plate, but I left it in place).

Watch out when you pop the bearing complete bearing back into the turntable. It has a specific orientation that means it is seated properly in the body of the turntable. (Look at the three legs of the bearing body, one of them has a little angled foot). This foot sits in a notch in the deck body - you'll need to lift up the PCB quite a bit to see the notch.

Finally, oiling. I used the wrong oil. It was too viscous, and I think I should have added it whilst I had the bearing apart. I tried to oil the bearing once I'd popped it back, and the only oil I had in a handy dropper was the oil I use in my Rega bearing. I think Technics recommend SW-10, which makes sense as it'll be runnier, allowing it to run into the bearing tube.

I hope you find this post useful. It's a 10 minute job. You could try different oil? Not such a faff when you've done the maintenance once or twice.

I'm Michiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrackandruin View Post
    I think Technics recommend SW-10, which makes sense as it'll be runnier
    According to several sources on the internet, the Technics SFWO-010 oil is rebranded Anderol 465. So if you want to use the original oil, you can use this.
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

+ Reply to Thread