+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A visit to chateau Firebottle

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Balls-to-the-wall BigMutha Tannoys vs Quad 57 stats.

Hmm. -- it's gonna be different for sure.
    Perhaps the synergy as I have said Jerry, but I think you would have been surprised just how much the statics rocked.

For me the speed and lack of colouration is the icing on the cake.

Both of us heard things we hadn't heard before in various tracks.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 16-10-2016 at 11:14.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the AT33 sounds like it would suit my tastes as well Alan?
    I rather think so James, detail and smoothness in spades.

I'm Mike.

An excellent write up, well done on making the trip to hear the Vivant and the rest of Alan's system.

Photos really help too, give you an idea of the size of the Vivant and a look at the rest of the gear used. Seems quite a lot of foo on the turntable stand, did you try it without the lamp

I think a lot of people will be looking forward to MiBO and wherever else the Vivant will be heard.

I can't wait to hear it myself

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I always think scale / bass is necessary to produce a more realistic representation of live music and micro detail isn't everything. If you listen to live music the acoustic of the environment and the mixing and amplification can do all sorts of sonic nasties to the music. Often much micro detail is lost in the general wall of sound but it is the scale that is always present which gives you that full fleshed out sound of the instruments.
    Spot on

Having become accustomed to it now for years, and with listening to a lot of live music at different venues, where scale is a fundamental part of the musical whole, enabling one to 'feel' the music as well as hear it, I simply couldn't do without that effect - and I'd always trade the qualities of a more 'ethereal' view/presentation of the music, in order to obtain the visceral impact/'heft' I desire and consider as fundamentally important for realistic music reproduction.

I also need my system to be able to play loudly and cleanly, when the need arises, without things falling apart... I can't stand systems/speakers that suffer from poor/insufficient headroom, and which quickly run out of steam!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Actually Marco, whilst agreeing that self praise is no honour , the similarity of the two systems was quite staggering.

I am using a very well integrated sub along with the '57s. The similarities were, in no order:

Scale. The Lockies major on it, but there was no lack here.
    Frequency range. Both fantastic.
    Clarity. What can I say, superb on both counts.
    Slam or impact. Lockies brilliant, Quads surprisingly brilliant.

Reality. Perhaps an odd choice of word but when the male vocalist came in on a couple of track from the Yello albums it was almost frightening.
    I turned to Kevin and asked 'who invited him in?'.

Perhaps the biggest plus for both systems is the synergy between components allowing for such wonderful sound.

Yup, matey, I'd go with all that

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

I reckon having the Quads up there must provide an immense sense of scale. Certainly be interesting to hear, I reckon.

I'm James.

Great write up, and good to hear about a range of products.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I reckon having the Quads up there must provide an immense sense of scale. Certainly be interesting to hear, I reckon.
    Ha in the Quads suspended in the room is a stroke of genius in my opinion. They have plenty of free space around them and there is no furniture between them and you to add any colouration.

They sounded superb, and lacking scale is not something I would have said the system suffered from.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Josie.

Super write up, Kevin... Really enjoyed reading it and very interesting.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

I own a fully modded and fettled pair of 57's and a very well sorted pair of Tannoy 15" MG's with all the gubbins. They are like chalk and cheese and do things so differently.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast