+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to chateau Firebottle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yeah big bloated ballsy Tannoys vs Etheral transparent Quads! Quite different but I am sure they both create their own magic. I know which I would prefer!
    Bloated? Defo not! The rest, yes. Form a proper opinion when you visit - and in that respect, we really need to nail down a date. We'll discuss that at MiBO

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

It was actually nice to meet Alan, play records for a day on a superb sounding system, and come home without having spent any money.
    The first meet at Gordon's Gaff was very expensive for me. I don't regret it as I have a better sounding system now.
    This time I have a feeling that Alan is the one who will be spending the money. It will start off with the cartridge....

I was impressed by the mono blocks and quad combination. However, I won't have exposed valves in my house due to a very inquisitive 16 month old daughter. Alan mentioned plans to build them into different boxes with enclosed valves.
    Yes, I won't see the magic glow of the valve but that is a minor price to pay. They are a very tempting proposition.

I really would not say that the system was "loud" when we were listening to it as it did not show signs of being pushed in any way, but the volume was wound up quite a long way round!
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Bloated? Defo not! The rest, yes. Form a proper opinion when you visit - and in that respect, we really need to nail down a date. We'll discuss that at MiBO

Marco.
    I was only teasing , I'm sure they are not bloated but expect they do have a big ballsy sound. Yep it would be great to sort a date with you at Chateaux Marco and bring along the VPI + Decca and maybe the 2M Black? Could be an interesting session?

See you at WiBO
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, defo, on all counts. The low-end presentation alone, and sense of scale, between Quad statics and big 15" Tannoys is akin to comparing a Beaujolais Nouveau with an Amarone!

Which you prefer is simply down to personal taste, and with different types of music.

I still remember Alan, at my place, turning round and telling me that on a familiar recording we both own (I forget which one), he hadn't noticed a particular bass line/instrument before, which was completely absent on his system....

True, Alan?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

I would have thought them incomparable as they are so far apart in their presentation. I like the fact you can can get different shades from differing speaker types. Everyone is different afterall.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Thumbs up

Yup, defo, on all counts. The low-end presentation alone, and sense of scale, between Quad statics and big 15" Tannoys is akin to comparing a Beaujolais Nouveau with an Amarone!

Which you prefer is simply down to personal taste, and with different types of music.

I still remember Alan, at my place, turning round and telling me that on a familiar recording we both own (I forget which one), he hadn't noticed a particular bass line/instrument before, which was completely absent on his system....

True, Alan?

Marco.
    Like the wine analogy. I think Alan beefed up his lower registers with a sub if I am not mistaken?

I always think scale / bass is necessary to produce a more realistic representation of live music and micro detail isn't everything. If you listen to live music the acoustic of the environment and the mixing and amplification can do all sorts of sonic nasties to the music. Often much micro detail is lost in the general wall of sound but it is the scale that is always present which gives you that full fleshed out sound of the instruments.

My system doesn't have scale but in a 14 foot by 14 foot room it is difficult to push this aspect without loosing control, hence the SP2,s do there thing but in a much smaller envelope. However what they do do is very good indeed.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Firstly I'd really like to thank Kevin for driving all that way to provide a top notch source to play through the system.

To say I was impressed is a total understatement. For those that have heard Marco's system, this was better (IMO).

I have never heard music through 'statics so good, it lacked nothing. Depth, air, slam, micro-dynamics to die for, imaging, volume!
    Yes volume, the sound was so clean we could turn it up without any strain.

I know where my system upgrade needs to be now. I joked about pinching Kevin's AT33, looks like I'll have to get one.
    I think the AT33 sounds like it would suit my tastes as well Alan?

I'm Kevin.

Just make sure it's the PTG/II. I would like to compare it to the SA.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

True, Alan?

Marco.
    To be fair to Alan, the only MC he has used before is an entry level Ortofon (a salsa or Samba).
    The AT33PTG/II is not the best cartridge out there, but yesterday in that system I did not see the need for anything more.
    It gets to the point where you have to spend stupid amounts of money to get any minor gains.

If I were Alan, I would be very proud/chuffed with what I have achieved with the Firebottle range.
    Hopefully, if there are no power issues at MIBO, then you guys will get to hear it. Just make sure that someone takes a decent vinyl front end.
    Kevin

I'm Alan.

Actually Marco, whilst agreeing that self praise is no honour , the similarity of the two systems was quite staggering.

I am using a very well integrated sub along with the '57s. The similarities were, in no order:

Scale. The Lockies major on it, but there was no lack here.
    Frequency range. Both fantastic.
    Clarity. What can I say, superb on both counts.
    Slam or impact. Lockies brilliant, Quads surprisingly brilliant.

Reality. Perhaps an odd choice of word but when the male vocalist came in on a couple of track from the Yello albums it was almost frightening.
    I turned to Kevin and asked 'who invited him in?'.

Perhaps the biggest plus for both systems is the synergy between components allowing for such wonderful sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast