+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SME / B&W

I'm Jason.

I'm from you're neck of the woods Chris, born and bred in Lancing. When I was at college in Worthing I went to see someone connected with B&W who was donating an old video recorder to the college along with some other gear - when we went to collect it, we saw the most amazing room. It was his home cinema/hifi room - complete with curtains, cinema seats (this was long before the current fad for home setups) and the original recording console from Abbey Road wot the Beatles recorded on (according to this chap). I wish I could remember who and where it was (though I think it might've been near Steyning) but it was a fascinating place.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

Just seen your sig Jason:
    I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.
    That has to be the best sig line I've ever seen. Brilliant!

I'm Dave.

I visited the SME factory and Alistair's system twice and it was a very interesting experience.

The first time I went to the factory was just after they had introduced the Series III arm and I had said some unkind things about it in one of the mags I wrote for at the time. I remember the factory was spotlessly clean with not a thing out of place. I asked about the 'listening room' and was told that there wasn't one and that the arm had been designed and built without it ever being tried prior to production. Of, course, once it was made, a couple were installed in Alistair's system on SP10's, IIRC. The rest of the system was a heap of BGW amps into 14 Quad ESL 57's, mounted on frames to allow orientation.

Second time round is a bit hazey for me but I seem to remember only 6 or 8 Quad's, a heap of Krell and an LFD phono stage. Still a good day out though.

I'm ChrisB.

Ah yes, the big battery powered LFD.

the arm had been designed and built without it ever being tried prior to production.
    I am truly shocked.

Dave, have you any lasting impressions of how the system sounded or the size of the room?

I'm Imjustsurviving.

My wifes cousin visited his house to fix his telly or something in the seventies, and listened to his system with the Quads, he was duly impressed, another mate/dealer has also been there several times and had a listen, apparently Alistair fitted Van-Den-Dull carbon cables to it all and killed the sound
    I will ask them both when i next see them to see if they know the room size, i'm sure i have seen pics of it somewhere, perhaps a magazine artical
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Nobody.

The best open day for me was J.A.Michell .. Freindship grew from then on.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 05-12-2009 at 01:11.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I am truly shocked.

Dave, have you any lasting impressions of how the system sounded or the size of the room?
    I can only recall the first visit as the second time around, I believe, we had lunch first and it all got a bit fuzzy round the edges after that.

The system with 14 ESL'a sounded LARGE, very LARGE, which was fine with full orchestra but with solo voice etc, the image was far too big for comfort. Another major problem was that the amps were clipping like buggery on the loud parts. It was all a bit embarrassing really.

After all these years it is difficult to recall the room dimensions but I would guess around 60 feet square. I can remember a lovely view across a valley, the massive Chinese rug and the 'Blackamores' I believe they are called. Life size gents with Turbans and holding lamps.
    Last edited by hifi_dave; 04-12-2009 at 19:35.

I'm ChrisB.

The valley is called Clays & Fever Field - it's where they buried all the plague victims! It'd be a bit different now - they dug a lake in it (good) but also put a bypass on it (bad!)

I'm Phil.

i am extremely proud my b&w spearkers are british and made in worthing, they are doing great things , and reading what hi fi recently [rarely] its good to see their top recommendations for amps were british [cyrus and leema]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast