+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I joined a forum once . . .

Default I joined a forum once . . .

It was a professional audio forum. I got kicked out when I dared to suggest that the most important link in the recording chain was ones ears, and the most important sound quality upgrade was getting ones ears de-waxed/syringed. Oh, and that one should never sit behind a mixer when full of a cold.

That was a few years ago. And to be honest, although I've occasionally read threads on various forums, I've often thought that a lot of 'audiophiles' are nutters. You know the, "a piece of wet string that costs £2,000 a metre is so obviously better than a £5 Belden" type of people. 'nough said or I'll start ranting about how rubbish the Linn LP-12 really is (Oh, I see you already know)

A few days ago I found this place whilst surfing the web. And frankly I was shocked. You lot raving about a cable from an unknown 'Mark Grant' that doesn't even contain any silver, let alone gold or platinum strands! tut-tut. A Sony R-1 at your show, how quaint. And as for Technics decks, oh how common!

I'm loving it so much, I decided to join! And yes, I think I qualify for membership, after all about 12 years ago I got so fed up with my 'audiophile' Pink Triangle, I went out a bought a . . . umm . . . Techy 1200 and have never been happier

As for what I've got, well, apart from the Techy you'll have to wait until I post a gallery thread.

Unfortunately I have health problems which mean that I'm mostly confined to home. So my music is very important to me. It's been the one constant in my life. My musical tastes are very wide ranging and eclectic. It would be quicker to tell you what I don't like than what I do. I'm a child of the 80's, at least that's when I bought my first single and album, but especially love 60's-70's alternative, the more alternative the better. For example, I hate the Beatles (the most overrated band ever IMO - heck they're so hyped up that most people wrongly think they invented beat music!), but love Iron Curtain Eastern Block Beat music.

Ok, that's it I've rambled on enough. Oh, I nearly forgot to say Hi

I'm Nobody.

coming in thick & fast

welcome kris

I'm David.

Hmm it sounds like you may well fit in here...
    Welcome!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Welcome indeed!

Please remember that fifties babies like me grew up on the Beatles and their music and fashions did follow some of the "underground" changes that were going on in the early sixties. I still cannot believe how much their music changed in only several years, whereas old farts like U2 keep churning it out year after year after year and rub their hands as the dosh floods in..........

Mark Grant is one of several "good guys" who are selling well made and sensible products for not too much money. I accept that the new £75 cable is going to cost us more as he's apparently had it made up specially and in the quantity of wire he's had to buy (almost certainly), he's had to commit a fair sum I reckon. At least the £20 version is still readily available, although I also like the products from ebay seller "Soundstable," which are very reasonably priced IMO...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Hi Kris

Sorry to read about the health problems...I hope you get better or at the very least not worse.

Enjoy the forum, if you need any help with anything just ask.

Oh yes....I agree about the Beatles.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 03-12-2009 at 18:58.
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

Hi Kris, welcome to the AoS forums.

I agree with you, this is a nice and "balanced" place to be.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

Sorry to read about the health problems...I hope you get better or at the very least not worse.

Enjoy the forum, if you need any help with anything just ask.

Oh yes....I agree about the Beatles.

Regards D S D L
    Hi Kris,

+1, i'm also with you and Neil on the Beatles line
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm notAlone.

You British are so blasés (jaded ?) with the Beatles... it's really a pity.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi kris,
    welcome to AOS.
    enjoy...
    A...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    As for what I've got, well, apart from the Techy you'll have to wait until I post a gallery thread.
    You little tease!

Great post, though - I think you will find many a kindred spirit in here. I must say, though, that from being in complete agreement on The Beatles a few weeks ago (and also an 80s child) the remasters of the later albums have challenged my beliefs - if I'm honest, that is the best thing I have got out of this forum - it has made me open my eyes (ears) to music I either disregarded, or knew little or nothing about - and isn't that great?! After all, why are we all torturing ourselves if not for the tunes!

Welcome, and enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast