• Yes I will attend and fit this in regardless

4 10.81%
  • I will attend and willing to help sort it out

4 10.81%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AOS Show , Members opinions please , includes a Poll

I'm Justin.

I don't think this forum is as big as the Wam is/was.

I think it needs to be well away from Scalford to avoid those who would exhibit there in preference. You need to catch those who don't exhibit at Scalford due to distance. I'd go south of London as a location.

TBH I don't think the forum is big enough in the general scheme of things to make it work.

My system is just too much hassle to move for it.

I'm Martin.

The problem with a show is that unlike a bakeoff it requires a lot of organization, a hell of a lot, as anyone involved in Scalford will tell you. Consequently, whilst it would be a fantastic thing to do, it would ideally require an individual able to commit the time and the effort into being the co-ordinator. And we are talking about what would be close to a full-time job in terms of work. There is no-one on the mod team able to make that level of commitment at the present time, hence the idea for a public show being on the (very) back-burner.

If anyone is genuinely interested in taking on that co-ordinator role then we can start to talk about it in a serious way, however without someone able to make that commitment then it is unlikely to happen in the near to mid future, at least.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

I think it needs to be well away from Scalford to avoid those who would exhibit there in preference. You need to catch those who don't exhibit at Scalford due to distance. I'd go south of London as a location.

TBH I don't think the forum is big enough in the general scheme of things to make it work.

My system is just too much hassle to move for it.
    Near Bristol, like?

You could take your M&D system.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    That's not really the issue, Justin, as just like Scalford, we'd be inviting folks from ALL the forums to attend and/or demo their kit, not just AoS members, as if it's not simply to be a glorified bake-off, that's the only way I think it'd work. I doubt that the Wam show/Scalford would've been the success that it has without the help of others!

Anyway, like Macca says, an AoS show, as was originally proposed a few years ago when things were different, is unlikely to happen, unless as mentioned, a willing and able co-ordinator was appointed. These days, I have little inclination to become involved in such things, beyond simply putting up the money.

So if anyone fancies it, and is 100% fully-committed to the task, let me know!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Near Bristol, like?

You could take your M&D system.
    Not gonna blow minds though.

Was thinking more centrally south.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's not really the issue, Justin, as just like Scalford, we'd be inviting folks from ALL the forums to attend and/or demo their kit, not just AoS members. I doubt that the Wam show/Scalford would've been the success that it has without the help of others!.
    Well if that is the case, just keep it well away from Scalford as a location, for the simple reason stated. It will make the kit on offer to audition markedly different, too, which has to be a huge plus.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I do agree, but unless there's a very good and convincing reason for it, and one that I'm happy with, any AoS show location will not be 'down south'; more midlands based, as I wouldn't want to completely alienate the guys who live in Scotland. It's different, of course, if we're simply talking about localised bake-offs.

It's irked me for years that, until Cranage Hall, all the decent UK hi-fi shows happened 'down south', almost as if nothing worthwhile exists north of Watford Junction, and so I certainly wouldn't want an AoS show to continue in that tradition.

If the 'southerners' aren't willing to get off their backsides and travel to the middle of the country, in order to attend such a show, in the way 'us northerners' were forced to travel 100s of miles south for many years, if say we wanted to go to Whittlebury, or to the old Heathrow shows, then too bad - we'll simply cater for those who show willingness to travel to any location that is suitable for the majority

Anyway, it's all pie in the sky just now until/if someone comes forward and volunteers as an organiser, which is unlikely.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

If a southern venue is being considered, Therfield School in Leatherhead has allowed their hall, premises and parking facilities to be used for an audiojumble a few times. Maybe they'd be willing to have such an event there.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Think he meant he would be up for it. :-)
    Sorry chaps, a wee typo there
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Jeff.

I don't know if this is any help or not, but in the past I've part organised a DJ meet up/ speaker demo, basically we hire a function room and we all bring our DJ systems to compare.

The venue we use is called the Charnwood Arms in Coalville, near Leicester.

The main reason for choosing this venue is because its about as central as you can get, plus good motorway access.

Also the venue has an on site Motel as well as the function room, so it works well.

Lots of us stay over and drive back the next day.

Rooms are cheap and really nice, food and beer is good too

Just a thought anyway..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-...=total;ucfs=1&
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast