+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad pre & power thoughts

I'm Jez.

Just to go a touch of topic here.... Many are mentioning the continued existence of a service department, able to repair etc all their models as a big plus point, and with maybe a read between the lines hint that they would be difficult/impossible to have serviced if this was not the case. Hence I want to point out that repair services are not exclusive to manufacturers and that people such as myself (other repair services are available) can repair not only Quad but pretty much all makes of hi fi equipment. As you were...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dave.

Undoubtedly, you would be able to service Quad amplifiers and do an excellent job, that is not in question. I was pointing out that Quad do have a fully staffed service department and can service/repair just about everything they have ever made. I could name many companies (but I won't) which would struggle to repair what they made 2 years ago.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Undoubtedly, you would be able to service Quad amplifiers and do an excellent job, that is not in question. I was pointing out that Quad do have a fully staffed service department and can service/repair just about everything they have ever made. I could name many companies (but I won't) which would struggle to repair what they made 2 years ago.
    Indubitably so. It's just that as someone who (amongst other things) does repairs I often get the feeling that people feel only the manufacturer can do a proper job, or even fix it at all and this is totally untrue! As you say there are companies who cannot repair something they made only two years ago... also one may get the most junior of engineers or technicians doing the repair work at many companies (not always by any means!) and often a component the same as the faulty one will be fitted as a "standard/stock part" whereas someone such as myself would think "that part failed so I'll fit a heavier duty version".

So often one reads on here of someone contacting a manufacturer to have a repair done and finding they no longer exist or no longer support older models... they often then seem to give up... it doesn't seem to occur to them that there are independent repair services can do just as good a job.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that any audio engineer worth his salt can fix almost anything........

There are a few on here that fit the bill.

I'm Martin.

Unless it's got those j-FET things in it
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Unless it's got those j-FET things in it
    Eh?

I'm Martin.

Those Sony and Yamaha amps, that use some transistor that isn't made anymore. Something fet in any case, you know what I mean.

You'll have to excuse me, have a bad cold and my brain is clogged more than usual.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Ah power fets... yes virtually unobtainable.

I'm Robin.

Any chance of getting back to the original subject, there is a very good repair guy in Glasgow so not a major concern for me.

I'm James.

Why are you thinking of going down the Quad 99 -909 route?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast