+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damping on speaker frame/spider

I'm Daniel.

Default Damping on speaker frame/spider

Hey guys, just thought I might share a mod I did recently with interesting results.....I have a pair of 12" Celestion 70/80 drivers and they are remarkably clear and articulate , but I found a little abrasive and honky in the 2.5 - 4k region.

I put Dynamat Extreme around the speaker frame (the frame is a pressed steel cheapie) and also on the back of the magnet, leaving a hole for heat dissipation for the voice coil.

All I can say I wow! The sound is even clearer, faster and all the harshness/honky is gone. I did notice quite a bit of bass (lower mids) was missing when I was standing back a bit (driver isn't in a box yet), so I went up to the driver to listen and realized that all the bass was still there, it was just all at the rear of the speaker, projecting perpendicular (out the sides) of the speaker! Quite interesting...
    I have no doubt that if you put it in a box the lower mids would be projected forward again!

Anyway thought some people here might benefit from this for their own project or experimentation.

Image attached.
    IMG_3175_A.jpg
    Cheers.

I'm Grant.

Interesting Dan. Ive a set of fr celestion 12" that have the wizzers. They occasionally give a honk too. Might be a design fault of the cage. Not tried any adjustments there.. maybe a smaller amount of damping on them might give best if both worlds
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Interesting Dan. Ive a set of fr celestion 12" that have the wizzers. They occasionally give a honk too. Might be a design fault of the cage. Not tried any adjustments there.. maybe a smaller amount of damping on them might give best if both worlds
    Yeah, here is the advertised sound damping, it seems to only really kick after 500 Hz or so....oh yeah and once you put it on, it's on for a while lol.

But oddly enough it seemed to make my speaker direct the lows out the sides, Im starting to think that maybe the relationship of the mass of the the motor and the spider frame may have something to do with the way the LF's project

Dynamat.jpg

danilo Guest

Find a bit of cheap light sponge .. Cut it into a doughnut shape of Similar diameter to the whizzer
    (cut it so it can open to be fitted)
    Carefully insert it between the whizzer cone and the main cone so that it lightly presses against both cones.
    An old 'trick' to damper the whizzer.. beneficially
    Then Listen :-)

I'm Grant.

Funny but thats what i did, sort of... i used cotton wool. Made a big difference too.. will keep the sponge in mind though for next time..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

ive been playing with my MS Pageant 2's,i threw out the wadding and glued 4mm steel plate on the tops,bottoms and sides of the cabinets. its made a big difference
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread