+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...looking for a bit of cartridge choice help..

I'm Jeff.

Default ...looking for a bit of cartridge choice help..

Hey guys, it's time for me to think about buying a cartridge for my modded SL1210.

I've got all the parts now, or they're on their way, the only thing I havn't ordered is a cartridge.

I've got an Ortofon Concorde DJ S which I could just buy a stylus for, a 20 or 30 perhaps.

I'm looking for something with a fairly fat bass, not boomy though, nice and smooth mid/top, not lean, and not too clinical.

On my previous sl1210 I had an AT95E which I actually quite liked.

My music tastes are mainly 80's soul & funk, one of my fave albums to play is Sade - Diamond Life, and I also love playing Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm 12" single, to give an idea of what I listen to.

So whilst I want it smooth and fat, I don't want it be boring

I'm not into classical, opera, rock, indie etc,

So I'm just asking here to get some ideas, cheers all.
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

"fairly fat bass, not boomy though, nice and smooth mid/top, not lean, and not too clinical"

...So not neutral and faithful to the recording then

The Slave To The Rhythm 12" single is total crap I'm afraid as nobody turned off the limiters, judging by my copy bought at the time. I prefer the first issue vinyl, where Grace and others talk in between some of the tracks...

The Pro S doesn't have the 'Super' body but will of course take a 20 or 30 stylus, both of which will have much added refinement over the stock stylus you have (I have a proper silver-body OM-Pro here and it's a bit 'lively' as is the sibling GT which is the same thing in a 500 body...).

I like the AT95E which gets better with the deck and arm, but there is a limit to it. I'd probably suggest the following - Sumiko Pearl for a ton or less, the DL110, which is as safe as houses in decks like this and still well liked, and a leftfield one from me, which I still haven't heard as yet, the Hana models, which many seem to like a lot. I'm told the Benz models are refined as well - no grit or 'edge,' but I haven't heard these either...

I'm Jeff.

cheers,

I'll checkout those carts you mentioned.

And I love playing Slave To The Rhythm, sounds pretty cool to me, but that was with the AT95E,
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Just dug out my copy of the 12". Yep - see what you mean about the limiters. And there's bugger all top end either.
    Barry

I'm Jeff.

Just been reading up on the Sumiko Pearl, sounds like it will suit me,

For that price though, it wont matter too much if I decide to change/upgrade to something else if I don't like it.

And yes I'll make sure I give it 40 hours before judging it..
    Rega Dac.

I'm Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just dug out my copy of the 12". Yep - see what you mean about the limiters. And there's bugger all top end either.
    I want to go and play it now, but I don't want to play any records I like until I've got a decent cart, currently slumming it with the DJ S Spherical stylus.
    Rega Dac.

I'm Jeff.

Been reading loads And I've currently stuck now between my original plan of getting a Stylus 30 for my Concorde DJ S, or getting a Sumiko Pearl.

The Pearl seems to tick all the boxes, decent bass, smooth treble, low surface noise, good with older records.

I keep thinking I might be missing out on something if I don't get the 30

But then I remind myself, that I mostly play older, 80's records, I'm always buying SH 12" singles, boot sales etc, and although I always clean them, they are still old, so does this mean that I should buy a cheaper cart ?

Are expensive fine line carts just for people who only listen to classical music on pristine vinyl ?? Hmmmm
    Rega Dac.

I'm Jim.

I like your idea of getting a 20, 30, or 40 stylus for the Concorde.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    I like your idea of getting a 20, 30, or 40 stylus for the Concorde.
    It's not really my idea, it's actually Kevin (KAB's) idea

I just had an email back from him, he said don't get a 40 unless you only ever play mint/pristine records, he reckons the 30 is the best all round choice.
    Rega Dac.

I'm Michiel.

The Ortofon 30 stylus is a much better stylus than the one the Sumiko Pearl has. Stylus 30 is nude (=all diamond) fine line, the Pearl has a bonded (=not all diamond, just the tip) elliptical stylus.

Some 10 years ago I had a Concorde Pro with an Ortofon 20 needle (nude elliptical stylus) in the SL-1900 in my students dorm, while I used an Ortofon Super OM 30 in my SL-1200 at my parents' place. I liked it a lot, until I switched to MC cartridges on the 1200 which moved the Super OM to the 1900 (now owned by my dad ).

Reading your preferences for "fairly fat bass, not boomy though, nice and smooth mid/top, not lean, and not too clinical" I think upgrading your Concorde DJ with a 30 stylus, or in fact any Ortofon cartridge, will suit you fine . Upgrading to a Super OM body will indeed give you more refinement, but I'm not sure weather they're still available. You could also go for a newer Ortofon 2M blue cartridge (nude elliptical stylus) which costs less than a single 30 stylus or a Ortofon 2M bronze cartridge (nude fine line, basically the same as the 30 needle) which is a bit more expensive then the 30 stylus, but also a bit better then the former Super OM 30. All these will be a significant upgrade to the Concorde body.

To put in my two pennies worth
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast