+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Which NAS do you recommend for music

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Yes, but some of the storage centers (sic) are deliberately constructed using older and cheaper technology. Nowadays energy consumption is a big issue for some of the massive storage data centres, and there could very well be changes in what is used. I think for performance reasons SSDs or similar are going to become much more mainstream in data centres.

For domestic use, why use 3.5 inch drives if 2.5 inch ones will do as well? Why use 2.5 inch drives if 1 inch cubes (or similar) will eventually outperform them?
    Economy, compatibility, reliability, and current availability...that's enough 'y's' for now...IMHO
    Cheers, Will

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Economy, compatibility, reliability, and current availability...that's enough 'y's' for now...IMHO
    Yep, but I've just taken some old 3.5 inch drives out of computers which have gone to the dump. I don't want a whole house full of things like that. I think the cost of neater kit is going to come down quite fast, so in a few years 3.5 inch drives will have bitten the dust, just like Betamax and MiniDisc (both of which I still have .... ouch!) and Windows XP PCs. Most sane people will go with the newer, neater and more compact stuff.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    It may be happening, but we don't see it as consumers. When was the last time you went to buy an industrial robot?

If anything "consumer worthy" happens, I expect it'll appear eventually, when someone or some organisation wants to make money out of us.
    I was talking about consumer stuff, in reply to your earlier remark. I agree something more compact will come along, however I don't think it will be for quite some time given the amount of conventional HD drives and hardware already in use.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Dont see need to make it any smaller.. just needs to be cheaper and more reliable, especially with ssd,s. They dont ladt as long as they should
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well there's a new storage tech- SSD. What did they do?

Stuck it in standard HD cases.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post

Yes, but it doesn't have to be 3.5 inch. I have some slimline cases with 2.5 inch SSDs. They were easy to set up.
    I'm sure things could go smaller.

The reason "they" would have done the cases is because they already had them. In the future things will be different.

Your argument is in favour of cylinder recordings I suppose. OK - I'd better not mention vinyl, but sometimes new things are better, better made, better designed, better suited to the people who may use them etc. Things will move on.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've already said I don't disagree, just it will take quite some time to happen.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Matthew.

Default QNAP 251

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    With that QNAP (The HS 251), i'd definently look into installing the Roonserver QNAP package on it. Just add a 8-16Gb SSD based USB3.0 adapter into one of the USB3.0 ports and put the Roon library there!
    You'll have an instant-on system that consumes less that 15W when using Pi-endpoints, but still sounds like some stratospherically priced streamers!
    You would benefit from upgrading the RAM though, even if i Think it would work just fine with the std 2Gb
    Thanks Mike, I'll have a go at this and get back to you on how I progressed :-)
    Matthew.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post

Dont forget abut mSATA SSD https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2...6M7BQMFYGMB6AP only about 2 inches (50mm) by 1.2 inches (30mmmm) and less than 1mm thick.

M2 SSD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

http://www.snia.org/forums/sssi/knowledge/formfactors

microSSD are mentioned, that does look small, never seen one though.

Not really much use for NAS as too expensive and not large enough capacity yet.

Nothing wrong with a NAS box full of low cost spinning disc for NAS storage for many years yet

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    Nothing wrong with a NAS box full of low cost spinning disc for NAS storage for many years yet
    Indeed Mark...

Here's my monstrous old legacy 3.5" 2TB QNAP music server(LMS), and NAS...barely fills a hole behind the plant pot!

Happily runs 5 SBclients (2 PiDACs, 1 Touch, an SB3, and a Boom), with a 3k album FLAC collection...already been going for 7 years
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast