+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which NAS do you recommend for music

I'm Matthew.

Default Which NAS do you recommend for music

Hi Guys, I'm really enjoying my music listening with the RPi and IQAudio DAC. However, I'm quickly realising copying and listening to files on a USB memory stick, via Volumio, has its lilmitations. I have been reading as many reviews as I can on NAS / Servers and ripping systems and my head is spinning. The fact a few of the reveiws don't mention music specifically, they just talk about media files, compounds the problem. Does anyone have some experience / recommendations as to which NAS to buy. I'm thinking of getting dbpoweramp as the CD ripping software, but again, I'm keen to hear about alternatives.
    Matthew.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

For humour only - The ONLY NAS I'd suggest for music are Notts Analogue (Studio) turntables...

Apologies, I couldn't resist it. I do stream as well, but not as seriously as yourself. Good luck with the search

I'm Matthew.

Default LOL

Matthew.

I'm Grant.

I just use an hdd attached. Its well big enough for my needs.. Self powered ones are best imo. You can add music via samba share without having to remove it although its fairly slow.ok for a few at a time. I have all music on various hhds in case of an error too. Easy and practical.
    Some like Marco use a nas enclosure.

As for ripping db foo ar jriver etc are all good..i usually use jriver now. Seems fine.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm keith.

Just get any that run Plex or Logitech media server and use exact audio copy to rip them.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not the cheapest, but I've used a Drobo for several years. Can be picked up secondhand on the bay for decent money.

Beauty with these is that they automatically back up your files between the hard drives, so if you do lose a drive, no music is lost, and you can hot swap drives again with no loss of data.

Great bit of kit and just works, no need to faff about setting up RAID or similar.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Matthew.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions gentlemen, as I want to get something I can use / rely on for the next 3 - 5 years I'm guessing a 4tb NAS is the thing to get. I have read that even this can give different SQ depending on the make. Anyone gone from a self powered USB HDD to a NAS and found better SQ / ease of use?
    Matthew.

I'm David.

Hi Matthew - I opted for a QNAP TS-412 with just 2 3Tb Westerns to start - has worked a treat for the last 18months. Regular software updates solve the irregular hiccups. Choice of media servers. The big benefit of a NAS drive is I can put it well away from the system down an Ethernet link. I'd not enjoy the same tranquility with a HDD in the same room. Did a piece on my blog:
    https://digitalprakel.wordpress.com/...e-and-backups/
    as confessed it was Andrew Everard's idea - honest.

I'm Matthew.

Thanks David, I've read your blog and it really did resonate, burning CDs is very time consuming and I agree with wanting no extraneous noise from whirring hard drives. The QNAP servers seem popular - I may well order one in the next few days along with the Lacie drives. Much appreciated
    Matthew.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrykan View Post
    Thanks David, I've read your blog and it really did resonate, burning CDs is very time consuming and I agree with wanting no extraneous noise from whirring hard drives. The QNAP servers seem popular - I may well order one in the next few days along with the Lacie drives. Much appreciated
    Hi Matthew - let me know if you need help. And let us know here how you get on.

DGP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast