+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, no!...........they let sods from Texas in here..........

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AOS

Have fun Pat

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

I have to say that I know Pat for at least a year (or two, perhaps).
    I have his special (long) coax (BNC terminated) which is an outstanding coaxial cable, it is a reference cable for me : it serves to evaluate any other digital coax out there.

So, I won't get into details, but, what I most appreciate about Pat, its his forwardness (hope the word is right).
    Last edited by Themis; 02-12-2009 at 14:57.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Patrick.

Not all of that is correct. Sorry, bub.

Pat

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by ar-t View Post
    Not all of that is correct. Sorry, bub.

Pat
    Yep, I should have said nothing, I knew it.
    Oh well, nevermind... I will remove it later, perhaps.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Patrick.

Yes, perhaps that is best. You may have forgotten that one of our original principles moved on about 3 years ago. Things have changed quite a bit since then. Or, perhaps you were not aware of that. Things like that have caused a great deal of confusion.

I will add this:

We were never called "Analogue". Much to his chagrin. Now, I can promise you that we will never be referred to in that manner. We still use "his" version of The King's English around here............mainly to remind us of what a lurch he left us in.

"Curry an' chips for me an' aal. Broons aal roon!"

Pat

I'm notAlone.

I didn't speak about "analogue", but I edited nevertheless.
    (After all, I'm not your press manager )

I'm sure people here would like to know about your original principles and the things that have changed. And me too, in a certain way.
    Last edited by Themis; 02-12-2009 at 15:00.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

How very cryptic - if not intriguing!?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Welcome to AOS. It's always nice to see guys join from the other side of the pond.

Just don't call me "Yank". An insult to all "Texuns"!
    We share a common language but there are a few notable differences one of which is the meaning of "Yank."

In American English a Yank is someone who was born/raised North of the Mason-Dixon line.

In British English a Yank is any US citizen from the Mexican border right up to the 49th Parallel and Alaska.

Thus you are a Yank to us

I'm InSpace.

Hi Pat,

Welcome to AoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    I have his special (long) coax (BNC terminated) which is an outstanding coaxial cable, it is a reference cable for me : it serves to evaluate any other digital coax out there.
    You should have said... I could have sent you a BNC-BNC (or whatever) along with that RCA-RCA cable. For comparison purposes!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Patrick.

Yes, I realise that. We did have a founding principle member who was from your side of the bog. But he is gone!

Still, it is an insult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, not sure what needs to be explained, or why. But a brief history.

We are group of like-minded goofballs, who are consultants of sorts. From time to time, we get the hare-brained idea to build and market something that we have designed. More times than not, it is an outgrowth of something that we have worked on, for a long time, and were shut off by the party that we were doing the work for. Having dumped lots of time and money into something, and gotten 'owt in return, we then decide the only way to recoup anything is to build it ourselves.

While we all have some background in manufacturing, it is certainly not our forte. It always leads to some hilarious outcome. Occasionally, we make money. At least enough so that when the next time rolls around, we go "Uh, maybe we shouldn't do this.............remember what happened last time................sod it! Let's build it."

We are in the middle of one of those adventures right now. It is giving me headaches. But at least we found a way to get rid of anodisers.

As for our background, most of us came from the telecom world. Some from medical electronics. One guy worked for a place that used to make steel. (I think that they still do, but the word "Steel" is no longer part of their name. And most of their mills have been razed to the ground.) Others are folks that thought that it would be fun to work somewhere that you get to listen to music for a living.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Most of us can't stand to listen to music any longer. When it gets to be a job, it gets to be a drag. Especially when you have to go to various stereo shoppes, and hear the same swill, over and over again. Doesn't matter where you go: same music, in every shoppe in every town.

After you get to the point when you don't want to listen to music, you find that you are in a bind when it comes to evaluating a new design. Everyone sits, and looks at each other and goes: "Do we really have to listen to this? Don't you have an idea what it should sound like? Haven't you done enough of these already to know? Can't we wait until you are done?" Followed by: "I can't remember the last time that I listened to my system." "Same here. I had mine turned off all summer. The last thing that I need is a 100 W Class A amp running in the summer. Especially when I am not using it."

The next evolutionary step is that you find that folks who used to be your best mates are now someone that you don't want to see as soon as work it over. It further devolves into folks deciding that they can work along, at their house. And that you don't want to see them when they do show up.

Moral of the story: Don't quit your day job and go into audio. Even if you are laid off! Don't do it. You will regret it. I promise you.

Anyway, that is why I like to concentrate on stuff that uses SPDIF. I can design it just by measuring it. When it comes to listening time, I get someone else to do it.

Yes, you are reading that right: I don't listen to my designs any longer. Even when I did, knowing what I did could easily skew my opinion. That is why we needed to have several folks around who were not part of that phase of the design process.

So, asking me what s/w sounds best, and how much CPU speed or memory that one needs on a computer................I have absolutely no idea. I don't have way to even listen to our stuff. We build it, I measure it, someone else here gets to listen to it. As long as it is not me, I am happy.

Well, not really "happy" happy. Just happy that is one less thing to strain my already shot nerves.

Cheers!

Pat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast