+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My DIY stats

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Panel speakers are dipoles, sub woofers have a monopole polar distribution, so it is very difficult to integrate the two. The Bowers & Wilkins DM70 electrostatic hybrid suffered from this problem.

I once heard Audiostatic speakers at an audio show (can't remember the model) and was very impressed. Curiously the room was empty, so I could sit in the optimum position, have the system to myself and spent some time enjoying the music. In fact music was the sole topic of discussion with the Audiostatic rep - always a good sign.

Congratulations Johan on your DIY electrostatics. I knew a collegue who built himself a pair of electrostaic speakers based on the Ed Saunders series of articles in the Audio Amateur magazine. They weren't easy to build, but he persevered and eventually was successful. Me - I'm happy with my Quad '57s, but I take my hat off to you for building your own. Well done!

Did you wind your own transformers or did you use commercially available items? What value of turns-ratio did you use?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 08:59. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Johan.

Hello I would like to thank everyone for the kind words!

I'm currently in the process of building the new, bigger stats, but I'm only at about 1/4 progress. I will soon post a photo In the meantime, I enjoy the current stats, they still do well.

Regards

I'm Johan.

Hi everyone,

although I didn't visit this place for a while I still like it In the meantime I made some progress on my new stats: tomorrow I plan to attach the membrane to the first new stat. I feel excited as it took me a few months to build just one stat, but I think it's rather big - although I'm getting used to it's size. It's still "do-able" in my opinion. It's just a little smaller than an average door. I will test one stat first before building the second one. As soon as the first stat is assembled I will post a photo!
    Last edited by j.postema; 10-11-2016 at 12:29.

I'm Geoff.

We will certainly be looking forward to seeing your work Johan.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Seen a big one before but not heard it. told they can sound super.. good luck, and some pictures will be appreciated
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

This is a very interesting project - I love big stats.

Keep the photos coming!

I'm Johan.

Hi,

about two weeks ago I finished my first bigger stat. It was interesting to turn up the volume and it just sounded well No technical problems. So I as very happy, also initial sound quality impression was good. But after some extensive listening I concluded that bass was not tight and mid range frequencies sounded a bit smeared / dull.

I think I need do damp resonance frequency and I think (hope) that wil solve the problems. But I'm still quite satisfied with the restult. The photo shows both the first project (small stat) and the new project (big stat). I'm expecting to finish the second big stat in just a few days so I can listen in stereo. (at the moment I combine the small and big stat for stereo)

I'm Geoff.

You do some great looking work Johan.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Johan.

Thanks!

I'm Justin.

If you have panel resonances you cannot avoid you can just notch them out digitally with a high Q value and a deep (say 10DB) cut. Provided you know at which frequency(s) they occur at. The idea is to apply a very narrow deep attenuation at the target frequencies.

Truth be told there are plenty of speakers that resonate badly at certain frequencies panels or not, that could almost certainly benefit from this.

Do you have any construction pics? Where did the plans come from?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast