+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My DIY stats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Johan.

Default My DIY stats

Hello,

here some pictures of my DIY electrostatic loudspeakers. First picture is made before painting them

Regards

I'm Geoff.

Those look great Johan. Nice job!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes indeed, nice job. How do they sound?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

They look good. Bit of subwoofery in the background there? What is the whole set up going to be?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

They are rather reminiscent of Audiostatic speakers to me. No bad thing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Johan.

@Ali Tait: even though I used very simple segmentation they still needed equalizing to sound right. They sound detailed with a tight bass. Stereo imaging is good in my opinion. They play (at least for me) loud enough. (I don't enjoy playing very loud so no problems with the stats ) Friends of mine seem to enjoy them too - always when they visit me the stats play their favourite music (electronic) so they have a social function as well.

@Macca: Thank you. It's always a bit messy in my living room - it's an empty pc case in the background. After a few weeks of questioning I decided to not add an electrodynamic (sub) woofer to the stats. (I can do that later) Although there is some lacking of lower frequency output I think the quality is still very good. ("tight") I decided to accept less lower range frequencies and spend the money and time on new, bigger stats rather than adding woofers to the existing ones. The new stats will be over four times bigger in radiating surface so I hope I will manage to get a good result.

@walpurgis: You are right, personally I like the Audiostatic design.
    Last edited by j.postema; 02-10-2016 at 23:25.

I'm Martin.

Forget the subs, just go bigger. I like your thinking.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Yes, Audiostatics!

I had a pair - superb except for the bass that seemed to slope off slowly below about 200Hz.
    Quite impossible to sensibly integrate with a subwoofer. I kept them for a year or so, so the bass was a limitation I could live with.

My Audiostatics had the bolt on "wings" that were supposed to help with the bass. Tbh, they didn't really!

But yes, increasing the panel size should help sort that.

Great project, well done, sir!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agree, very hard to marry a panel to a cone sub sucessfully. Better building a bigger panel in the first place.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes agree, very hard to marry a panel to a cone sub sucessfully. Better building a bigger panel in the first place.
    Actually, because of the very slow bass roll-off with the Audiostatics, the subwoofer integration thing was way worse than usual, even for stats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast