+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I don't think think the IQ DAC will work with Kali even with the 3v3 supply - because it operates in master mode and the Kali requires a dac that's in slave mode.
    Like Mike, I greatly prefer the Kali/Piano over the IQAudio sound.
    For the IQ DAC+ to be master it would need a clock on board. I cannot see any evidence of one, so I think it operates in slave mode.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    For the IQ DAC+ to be master it would need a clock on board. I cannot see any evidence of one, so I think it operates in slave mode.
    True. I was passing on something I read elsewhere, which looks like it was incorrect. I'll be interested to see if the addition of the 3v3 supply can make it work.
    Last edited by jonners; 11-11-2016 at 10:10.

I'm Dave.

Initial impression listening to the PI2/Piano2.1 combo (no KALI) with the inductor on the Piano shorted are good. Dynamics and soundstage are much better and it could well be preferable to the IQ DAC+ now.
    More listening needed, but much 'appier with 'Allo 'Allo now.

I'm Mike.

Initial impression listening to the PI2/Piano2.1 combo (no KALI) with the inductor on the Piano shorted are good. Dynamics and soundstage are much better and it could well be preferable to the IQ DAC+ now.
    Excellent

I'm John.

Just now I tried shorting the inductor on the Piano 2.0, with the Kali in place. Result: The opposite of what Dave found: I thought the sound was livelier and more dynamic with the inductor in circuit.
    Dave, are you going to give Kali+Piano another try?
    (I'm on Moode 2.7 btw)
    Last edited by jonners; 11-11-2016 at 22:33. Reason: Added info

I'm Josie.

Shorting the inductor? Any pics of this please?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Shorting the inductor? Any pics of this please?
    The inductor is the square black component with '152' on top, near the headphone socket. I just powered down and (carefully) put a croc clip across it. That was just my way though, and I don't necessarily recommend it to others!

I'm Dave.

That's exactly what I did!

Please be very, very careful not to touch the caps on either side of the inductor with the croc clip - one end of each cap is ground and if you short to that end something will go pop!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Just now I tried shorting the inductor on the Piano 2.0, with the Kali in place. Result: The opposite of what Dave found: I thought the sound was livelier and more dynamic with the inductor in circuit.
    Dave, are you going to give Kali+Piano another try?
    (I'm on Moode 2.7 btw)
    Yes I will try the KALI again. I need to figure out how the 2 inductors on the KALI board are connected. If one or both are in series with any analogue supply (to the DAC) they will probably end up being shorted.

I'm John.

That's exactly what I did!

Please be very, very careful not to touch the caps on either side of the inductor with the croc clip - one end of each cap is ground and if you short to that end something will go pop!
    Indeed. And be careful it doesn't flip off and short something somewhere else!
    In other words, don't do this at home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast