+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Mike.

Well I managed to get it running woo hoo!

Only thing I've noticed is that it makes my HD-Plex Linear PSU run very hot?

I've not fitted the Volt amp section yet as it's plugged into my main system amp.

I'll have more time to play with it over the weekend, but to be honest I don't like Logitech Media Server software which Max2play uses. I much prefer MoOde but it just doesn't work with the Sparky ( RPi clone ) box?

I also didn't fit the PSU regulator, should I have? Didn't have any instructions so left it off and just ran the box with the Kali Reclocker and the Piano 2.1 DAC fitted.

I'm Grant.

It needs 3 amps Mike, so it might be stretching it a little. Well done in getting it to work.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It needs 3 amps Mike, so it might be stretching it a little. Well done in getting it to work.
    Ah, that might be why, ok I'll check tomorrow

I'm Mike.

You're right, the original HDPlex PSU that I have is only 2 amp, looks like I'll be giving the Sparky setup a quick listen, write up then sell it as I'm not spending more cash on another PSU.

Just thought I'd see if it was better then the Pi and IQAUDIO DAC, but for me running it via Max2play and LMS is a non starter, far too complicated to get going and I'm pretty computer savvy and have used LMS before but it still took me a few hours to get going.

The Kali and Piano DAC don't fit my Pi either as it's an older version, so I can't swap them over and try it on my Pi.

I'm Mike.

More hair pulling this morning, any of the 'players' I use through LMS keep dropping out I have to reselect renderer again, but then I can't control the music and have to go into LMS be setting page to stop the music.

I'm going to try and see if it will run Volumio and if that fails then I give up. My Pi using MoOde runs without issue and has done for months but so far trying to run the Vanaplayer using LMS is a nightmare.

I'm John.

I would recommend getting a RPi that you can use with the Kali and Piano running Moode, and giving up on Sparky. The sound is really very good. I'm running mine off a 1A TPS7A4700 regulator so a 2A supply ought to be OK.

I'm Grant.

Rpi 2 will run on 2 amps or so. rpi3 needs 3 amps. I know a few guys have used the kali and piano on a rpi2 using moode or volumio. So its maybe your best bet Mike. An rpi2b is good n cheap. Might need a new box made up but you could use the sparky panels initially. The other board is to multiply the voltage from the 5v supply to the 19v for the amp board by way. Glad youve got it to work
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Here's my initial thoughts/feelings about this system/components.

Andre (Audio Hdwr) offered that I could test/review the following:
    Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1
    Volt AMP
    KALI Reclocker

Not a full-blown VANA system but since I already have a spare Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with an IQaudIO DAC+ installed it would be an interesting comparison.

So using that as a base I removed the IQaudIO DAC+ and installed the Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1. Dead simple - fits onto the Raspberry PI as per the IQaudIO DAC+ and so good to go - fingers crossed.

I have been using Squeezebox Server and a Squeezebox Classic for years now so that is the environment I am testing in – I don’t stream from the internet so won’t be looking at that side of things.

The Raspberry PI is running Max2Play v2.37 – I’ve been using that for about a year or so now since it offers a good web interface to control the PI and it’s installed software (Squeezebox Server and SqueezePlug) plus it has specific extensions/packages for the IQaudIO DAC.

After rebooting the PI I checked the IQaudIO settings in Max2Play to specify the DAC I’m using – well since the Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 isn’t actually an IQaudIO product I guessed/crossed fingers that the setting of IQaudio Pi-DAC+ would work.

And it did Fired up the system, switched on the amp and selected the Raspberry Pi as the input – went to the iPad and started iPeng (SqueezeBox control app) to browse some music on the Raspberry Pi. I’ve got a playlist that I use to test whenever I change something in the system and chose that. No problem – all worked as expected, DAC recognised and working as expected.

Initial impressions are very good – usually everything goes through an Audiocom modified Squeezebox Classic into an M2Tech Young DAC. Using the Pi/Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 the bass has less impact and the soundstage is not quite so wide but for something that costs significantly less than my usual system it does not disgrace itself. If I was just beginning to get into the world of digital/streaming music, then I would have been more than satisfied with what I was hearing and very happy with my system.

One thing I noticed is that the RCA binding posts and not quite as robust as those used on the IQaudIO DAC. The Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 uses a single post for each cable whilst the IQaudIO DAC uses a double unit. When I was taking the connects off the Piano DAC I noticed that there was a degree of movement/flex as I pulled the connect off – maybe I’m a bit ‘rough’ with the connect but might be worth bearing in mind when changing cables/connecting the system.

The next stage is to install the KALI Reclocker to see what impact that has on the system – but I need a suitable power supply for the KALI and am waiting for Andre to get back to see if the power supplies I have lying around are suitable.
    Dave

Currently listening to:

Wilmslow Audio Gemini speakers with external crossovers | DCB1 -> Neurochrome 86 Monos | Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 -> Denafrips Pontus II | Roon Server/ HQPlayer | Spotfire interconnects / speaker cable

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Rpi 2 will run on 2 amps or so. rpi3 needs 3 amps. I know a few guys have used the kali and piano on a rpi2 using moode or volumio. So its maybe your best bet Mike. An rpi2b is good n cheap. Might need a new box made up but you could use the sparky panels initially. The other board is to multiply the voltage from the 5v supply to the 19v for the amp board by way. Glad youve got it to work
    I've ditched the Sparky and fitted the Reclocker, Piano 2.1 DAC and Volt amp to my second Pi system in the computer room and it's sounds excellent.

I've just gone back to my original Pi setup in the living room so I can keep using my HD-Plex linear PSU on it as it's an older Pi that won't take the Reclocker etc.

If I pick up another linear PSU to suit the newer Pi that needs 5v3a to run the Reclocker etc I'll move that one into the main setup.

My other option is to try Volumio as they have a distro for the Sparky, but that's for another day.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmings View Post
    Here's my initial thoughts/feelings about this system/components.

Andre (Audio Hdwr) offered that I could test/review the following:
    Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1
    Volt AMP
    KALI Reclocker

Not a full-blown VANA system but since I already have a spare Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with an IQaudIO DAC+ installed it would be an interesting comparison.

So using that as a base I removed the IQaudIO DAC+ and installed the Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1. Dead simple - fits onto the Raspberry PI as per the IQaudIO DAC+ and so good to go - fingers crossed.

I have been using Squeezebox Server and a Squeezebox Classic for years now so that is the environment I am testing in – I don’t stream from the internet so won’t be looking at that side of things.

The Raspberry PI is running Max2Play v2.37 – I’ve been using that for about a year or so now since it offers a good web interface to control the PI and it’s installed software (Squeezebox Server and SqueezePlug) plus it has specific extensions/packages for the IQaudIO DAC.

After rebooting the PI I checked the IQaudIO settings in Max2Play to specify the DAC I’m using – well since the Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 isn’t actually an IQaudIO product I guessed/crossed fingers that the setting of IQaudio Pi-DAC+ would work.

And it did Fired up the system, switched on the amp and selected the Raspberry Pi as the input – went to the iPad and started iPeng (SqueezeBox control app) to browse some music on the Raspberry Pi. I’ve got a playlist that I use to test whenever I change something in the system and chose that. No problem – all worked as expected, DAC recognised and working as expected.

Initial impressions are very good – usually everything goes through an Audiocom modified Squeezebox Classic into an M2Tech Young DAC. Using the Pi/Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 the bass has less impact and the soundstage is not quite so wide but for something that costs significantly less than my usual system it does not disgrace itself. If I was just beginning to get into the world of digital/streaming music, then I would have been more than satisfied with what I was hearing and very happy with my system.

One thing I noticed is that the RCA binding posts and not quite as robust as those used on the IQaudIO DAC. The Piano Hi-Fi DAC 2.1 uses a single post for each cable whilst the IQaudIO DAC uses a double unit. When I was taking the connects off the Piano DAC I noticed that there was a degree of movement/flex as I pulled the connect off – maybe I’m a bit ‘rough’ with the connect but might be worth bearing in mind when changing cables/connecting the system.

The next stage is to install the KALI Reclocker to see what impact that has on the system – but I need a suitable power supply for the KALI and am waiting for Andre to get back to see if the power supplies I have lying around are suitable.
    5v 3a PSU is what you need I think as that's what came with mine. You also need a 19v PSU for the Volt if used or for the Capacitor board ( I think that's what it's called lol ) that then plugs into the Volt.

Both PSUs at the same time, 5v powered first then the 19v one, and in reverse when powering off.

My bass was a little light and recessed as well, but I SSH'd into the Pi and set the alsamixer to -4.50db which was I think must be near 100 on the scale as next notch up was into the red, as it was originally way down at the bottom of the scale, as soon as I did that, oh boy bass was back big time, made me jump lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast