+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Luis.

Does anyone know if the IqAudio dac pro works with Kali?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by SantanaCorreia View Post
    Does anyone know if the IqAudio dac pro works with Kali?
    I don't think it would be just 'plug and play'. It appears to be quite simllar to the Pi-DAC+, in which case it would need to be supplied with 3.3 Volts beacuse the Kali does not pass the 3v3 through to the DAC.
    I had my IQAudio Pi-DAC+ working with Kali by using a small regulator that converts 5V to 3.3V.

I'm Tony.

I will buy one once the case is released. I already have an IQAudio Dac+ and Vana bundle as well as a RPi with a Hifiberry Digi+ feeding a relatively expensive DAC so will be interested to see how the Boss fares. I preferred the Vana setup to the IQAudio Dac+ but feeding spdif to my external DAC is still the best sound for me. The others work fine in bedroom/office setups.

I'm Barry.

Updated Boss review at the end of this thread.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/all...c-review/20575

I'm Josie.

Hi all.

Just letting you know that a full review of the boss will be coming soon.

Many thanks
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Hi all.

I've now had the updated ALLO BOSS in my system for a good few weeks now and I have to say that its certainly now settled in enough for a more in-depth review.

Firstly, I use it with a PI3 and an SBooster linear PSU. I've had chance to hear this not only through my Croft but a very nice passive preamp too. The results are positive. I've also flipped back to the Piano 2.1 and KALI combo to which yealded different results.

If you aleady have the Piano/Kali combo then here are my thoughts. The differences in the BOSS in this respect are that the scale of the music I found to be more expansive with a much more dynamic nature. Kick drums seem cleaner with more meat on the bones. Powerful and natural. Mid ranges have a slightly more fluid tone. Water droplets for example have a much rounder, more believable tonal quality with space and weight.

High frequencies are handled much the same way with nice, yet not over stated ringing or harshness.

The bass... Well, its simply wonderful. It's fast, dynamic and most of all tuneful. I'm getting controlled sub bass like never before. The BOSS has an air of discipline to how it pulls each range in to focus. I belive its down to timing as well as balancing. For all this to be fitted on to one tiny card is bogglingly lovely.

The BOSS is like no other imo. It's clean and tuneful signature brings it out to be a more sophisticated little number. It's certainly not a boom boxy kind of affair as it can reproduce delicacy as well as raw oomph with ease.

In my last review I ran the IQAudio DAC+ along side of the allo units and came to the conclusion that the IQAUDIO had a more softer, more accommodating quality for classical passages. Well, I feel less of that now. The latest BOSS does it all. There is no need for another now. Imo, its knitted both quality sound and SPPV together.

The music I've been listening to has been a mix of old, new, rock, dance, trance and classical and I've yet to hear a duff or irritating sound.

All in all... It's simply smashing.

Can it get any better? At the moment, I can't think how.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

I've now had the updated ALLO BOSS in my system for a good few weeks now and I have to say that its certainly now settled in enough for a more in-depth review.

Firstly, I use it with a PI3 and an SBooster linear PSU. I've had chance to hear this not only through my Croft but a very nice passive preamp too. The results are positive. I've also flipped back to the Piano 2.1 and KALI combo to which yealded different results.

If you aleady have the Piano/Kali combo then here are my thoughts. The differences in the BOSS in this respect are that the scale of the music I found to be more expansive with a much more dynamic nature. Kick drums seem cleaner with more meat on the bones. Powerful and natural. Mid ranges have a slightly more fluid tone. Water droplets for example have a much rounder, more believable tonal quality with space and weight.

High frequencies are handled much the same way with nice, yet not over stated ringing or harshness.

The bass... Well, its simply wonderful. It's fast, dynamic and most of all tuneful. I'm getting controlled sub bass like never before. The BOSS has an air of discipline to how it pulls each range in to focus. I belive its down to timing as well as balancing. For all this to be fitted on to one tiny card is bogglingly lovely.

The BOSS is like no other imo. It's clean and tuneful signature brings it out to be a more sophisticated little number. It's certainly not a boom boxy kind of affair as it can reproduce delicacy as well as raw oomph with ease.

In my last review I ran the IQAudio DAC+ along side of the allo units and came to the conclusion that the IQAUDIO had a more softer, more accommodating quality for classical passages. Well, I feel less of that now. The latest BOSS does it all. There is no need for another now. Imo, its knitted both quality sound and SPPV together.

The music I've been listening to has been a mix of old, new, rock, dance, trance and classical and I've yet to hear a duff or irritating sound.

Good review, I might try one and ditch the Piano/Kali

I'm Luis.

IMHO, if this is true, and I have no reasons no to believe (great review btw), Allo has made a move that might not be that cleaver. A cheaper product is better than its direct competitor in the same company. KALI and PIANO will suffer a lot. A direct downsell. The only reason why this makes sense is to gain market on Iqaudio or audiophonics. But I really dont know were the KALI and PIANO are when it comes to product cycle.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Looks like they have ironed out all the problems now Josie. Glad your appy
    Last edited by struth; 16-03-2017 at 15:52.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Luke.

The way that Kali improves the I2S signal from the Pi is different to the method on The Boss, with Kali being theoretically better. It also backpowers the Pi and DAC with cleaner power, apparently. Can this 'better' be heard, that's the question? I think I'll be getting The Boss rather than Kali plus Piano 2.1 or Mambo LS (my previous plan), but more because of form factor than anything else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast