+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Barry.

Hi Josie, you did not experience any of the vocal problems mentioned in the roon review? Thanks

I'm Jogchum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Jogchum.

On balance I'd say the BOSS because I feel the space it gives and the timing seems to be more apparent which is a good thing and there really isn't much in it between the PIANO/KALI and the BOSS.
    OK, thanks, I'll wait for the BOSS!

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    So what dac chip is it this time Jo?
    PCM5122

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Hi Josie, you did not experience any of the vocal problems mentioned in the roon review? Thanks
    To be honest, no. I've only just read that review actually.

All I can say is that I'm sure the DAC will need a good running in. It sounds a bit odd to me.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohdwr View Post
    PCM5122
    Audiophonics 32bit/384kHz then.... should work with Moode then easily enough. Never did get the kali to work alas.... Sounds like a winner for you then.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Marc.

What did you pay for the Boss Josie?

I'm allo.

Retail is 59$ USD

I'm Luke.

Thanks for the review, Josie, I was getting very eager to hear it and have just signed up to comment (long time lurker).

Prior to hearing of the forthcoming “The Boss” release (great name!), I was all set to buy either a Mamboberry LS or one of the Piano DACs from Allo, plus a Kali. As soon as I heard about this DAC I held off until some reviews came out, hoping to make my choice easier. But if anything it has made it harder, because now I am wondering if any of these alternatives offer anything ‘better’ than my current IQaudio DAC+?!

Sure, they likely have subtly different sound signatures, but there seems to be little agreement among reviewers, which makes me think that it just comes down to subjective preferences for these ever so slightly different flavours.

A few people who own the IQaudio and Piano + Kali on the Rune Audio forum had suggested to me that the Allo combination was an improvement over the IQaudio. This made sense to me as I had naturally assumed that the reclocking done by the Kali (and now “The Boss”) would automatically elevate these options above the IQaudio that relies on the jittery clock of the Pi. But in your review you seem to imply that you prefer The Boss over the Piano/Kali, but that for some music you still prefer the presentation of the IQaudio?

So I am left wondering whether we can think of the differences in terms of better/best, or whether in fact the quality of these DACs has reached a kind of plateau where the best examples are all basically equally good, with only very subtle differences in audible output?

(I also suspect that psychoacoustics comes into play whenever we add a new component into the system, especially if we expect it to perform better, making it very difficult to accurately judge the subtle differences!)

I was wondering, do you agree at all with that conclusion? Could you possibly elaborate on the differences between The Boss and the IQaudio? I know this is probably very difficult without a means to do quick A-B switching. Would you be prepared to show the courage of your conviction and say that The Boss is definitively better than the IQAudio, or is it just far too comfortable on that fence?

I'm Luke.

The TL,DR version

If you could only have one Pi DAC HAT, which would it be?

I'm Mike.

I have used both the IQAudio and the Piano/Kali combo and I have to say in my system the Piano/Kali was a good upgrade, wider and deeper front to back soundstage, better, tighter bass with more kick and overall I thought it sounded much better. So much so that it made me question my vinyl setup.

Mike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast