+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Barry.

Looks interesting, no need for new or additional power supply, pity no headphone out socket. Looking forward to your review Josie.

I'm Maikel.

Looks very promising, woow. Compliments to André and his team

I'm rupert.

1+

I'm allo.

we should have more news soon!
    excited !

I'm Barry.

A review of the Boss over at Roon.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/all...c-review/20575

I'm Josie.

Okay...

So, I've now had the BOSS running in the system for a few days and what can I say... very, very nice indeed.

One thing I found over using the KALI/PIANO 2.1 combo was that the transient details have been improved for certain. For example, one of my reference albums I use is by Shpongle. With lots of focused and dynamic bass and oodles of transient effects. On one track there is a water drop style effect. This with the KALI/PIANO was great but with the BOSS in charge there is a noticeable improvement in space and depth.

On other albums like Muddy Waters, The Beatles, Goldfrapp, PJ Harvey, Teenage Fanclub, Ride, The Rolling Stones, Lemon Jelly, Iron Maiden, I found the improvements the same, drums seem more fluid and the timing is simply stunning.

The bass has again been improved in dynamics. It has more kick with more air making it that little bit more realistic and not over zealously fatiguing . With the mix of improvements in timing and nano resolution this little baby really puts a grin on your face.

There is certainly some wizardry here and it's most certainly the best sound I've heard so far in the RPI configuration. This is moving towards a very analogue sound, and (dare I say it) a very 'vinyl like', with a natural presentation with no harshness. There are no horrid aspects to what I can here that you can get from some DAC's.

All in all... I find it's a very nice improvement over the KALI/PIANO combination. I don't listen to much classical and if I do it's mostly on vinyl but I do love ambient music, acoustically or digitally created so I find this to cope well with very delicate passages but on that note I do find the IQAudio's tone slightly more attuned to this over the BOSS and the KALI/PIANO.

The BOSS makes me think what we are all trying to achieve with digital and for me it's both accuracy and drama to which some DAC's (RPI based or otherwise) can give an uneven keel on presenting.

Quite respectively on balance the BOSS has it. It's a little gem of a DAC.

BTW: At the moment of testing this, Volumio 2 didn't allow any up-sampling so there is even more scope.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 10-02-2017 at 04:36.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm allo.

Wow! (as usual) .
    Great detail, I can visualize it.
    That bass has been mentioned by a few of the ones who received the first units produced. Its thanks to the high end super capacitor we use and the electricity jolt it sends over precisely when needed.
    Stock will be available before the end of the month.

What do you guys think?

regards
    Andre

I'm Jogchum.

Being more a classical music lover, isn't the bass too pronunciated? Or would the Piano 2.1/KALI-combination be better in that respect?

I'm Josie.

Hi Jogchum.

On balance I'd say the BOSS because I feel the space it gives and the timing seems to be more apparent which is a good thing and there really isn't much in it between the PIANO/KALI and the BOSS.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Jogchum.

On balance I'd say the BOSS because I feel the space it gives and the timing seems to be more apparent which is a good thing and there really isn't much in it between the PIANO/KALI and the BOSS.
    So what dac chip is it this time Jo?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast