+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunicycle View Post
    I have now swapped the Pi 3 running asset with Pi 2 on the Kali/Piano set up and on 1st impressions it seems to have illuminated both the clicking and skipping switching between tracks, all FLAC, of various types 16/44.1, 24/96 & 24/192 I have yet to hear any clicks or skips - using Moode 3.1 with max upsampling

Listening through headphones (it was 6:00 am!) I listened to one of my current favourites (Cara Dillon - Upon a Winter's Night - O Holy Night) as it is just 2 female voices a-cappella I thought any skipping would be very obvious and there was none. However there was some clicking, that of the singer's tongues against the tops of their mouths -is there a name for that noise?

I am still using the NAS - Asset upnp (pi2) - Pi3/Kali/Piano set up controlled with Bubble upnp on Android. I am sticking with this because I like the interface and smart way Asset handles "the", I couldn't go back to 80% of groups being listed under T.

The downside of switching the Pis is that indexing the music took longer but I may get another Pi 3 in the New Year or even wait until the next Pi version appears!

A couple of questions to finish with:
    -In this mode the 192k blue led on the Kali is permanently flashing - does this match others experience and is it OK? (Andre?)
    -In terms of 'burn-in' is there any point in setting up a long and varied playlist and just letting it run 24x7 without any output on i.e. power amp off?

Thanks and happy Christmas

Richard
    mine does the same ... seems to be normal maybe the blinking means x2

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...760#post815760

concerning the run-in, just feed the pcm chip data for a week or so.. mine seemed to have opened up quite a bit over a week or two.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Had a thought: Does your Kali have the 22/24MHz clocks or 44/48MHz?
    If the former, it would be unable to go up to 384Hz.
    I've no idea... will look. Didn't know there was a different version.

Zakka-Wakka? - no idea. lol
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I've no idea... will look. Didn't know there was a different version.

Zakka-Wakka? - no idea. lol
    Currently all Kalis seem to be 44/48MHz, but when it first came out there was a 22/24MHz option. You may need a good light and a magnifying glass to read the numbers!

I'm allo.

hi to all.
    we used to deliver the VANA music system based on our sparky single board computer with the 22/24Mhz KALI because Sparky could not go over 192khz sample rate.
    After, we decided to only manufacture the 44/48Mhz KALI to have 1 product for both RPI (up to 384Khz) and Sparky.
    the ones who got the VANA players first certainly got the 22/24 KALI version.

Hope this helps

I'm Josie.

Hi Andre.

I think I may have a problem with mine.

My KALI has 44.1khz and 48khz family lights and it also has the up-sampling 192khz LED (amongst lower rate LED's).

The thing is, I can't get it to work at 384khz. I just get no sound whatsoever.

A bit of trouble shooting here... Does anyone have the RPI compatibility DIP switch set to 'ON' on the 2.1? I still have mine on the sparky setting.

Also, the HAT on/off dip switch on the KALI is set to off.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm John.

Hi Josie,
    From what Andre wrote above, isn't it likely that you have the 22/24MHz version? That is limited to 192kHz.
    I'm using the RPI, so I have RPi compatibilty set to ON on the 2.1; and HAT on the Kali set to OFF.

John
    Last edited by jonners; 27-12-2016 at 21:05.

I'm Josie.

Hi John.

Many thanks for the update. I simply forgot to flick the DIP switch to be honest. I'll do that now, never know it might solve the problem.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm allo.

let us know.

I'm Josie.

Hi all.

Yes, problem solved. Got the latest KALI from Andre (with many thanks ) and it's now upsampling 384khz setting.

However, I'm still getting an occasional skip. I can re-create it too on a specific track so it's not random. It's not the track either because if I rewind the track and replay where it skipped it plays fine, no skip.

If I set it to 16bit 44.1khz setting it no longer skips in the same areas but it still does, just less frequent.

I've tried changing the buffer size all the way up to 32,768 but no difference. Also tried the USB fix in Moode.

So. I'm currently using the RPI2 so just wondering if it's that, maybe?

Any ideas chaps?

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Yes, problem solved. Got the latest KALI from Andre (with many thanks ) and it's now upsampling 384khz setting.

However, I'm still getting an occasional skip. I can re-create it too on a specific track so it's not random. It's not the track either because if I rewind the track and replay where it skipped it plays fine, no skip.

If I set it to 16bit 44.1khz setting it no longer skips in the same areas but it still does, just less frequent.

I've tried changing the buffer size all the way up to 32,768 but no difference. Also tried the USB fix in Moode.

So. I'm currently using the RPI2 so just wondering if it's that, maybe?

Any ideas chaps?
    Are you streaming the audio or is it connected directly via USB? Are you playing wav, flac, mp3......?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast