+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Maikel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Are there any sonic advantages in powering the Pi rather than powering it via the KALI? The only problem I have with the Pi's power is the crappy micro USB plug.
    I think it has sonic disadvantages to power the pi through USB because you use the regulators on board.
    When you power the pi through GPIO pins it skips these regulators, which should sound better, BUT it doesn't have protection for higher or lower voltages anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    No, there's probably a slight sonic disadvantage I would think.
    Could you explain why, please. I'm interested to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunicycle View Post
    Having been using my original HiFiBerry DAC for a few years I have decided that the time has come for a change this has been prompted by a couple of things:

-Since I became a born again vinyl listener I find the 'old' HiFi Berrry quite difficult to listen to.

-There seems to have been a lot of improvement in this area particularly in the area of master clocks and reclocking (Kali and Audiophonics V2 & V3)

Because of the nature of these things I will have to take a punt on one or other based on online reviews I have decided to go for the Kali+Piano option over the Audiophonics, although I do regret the Piano DAC RCA connectors not having securing nuts like the Audiphonics as this would make fitting either a pre-made or home-made case easier. I am always slightly afraid of straining the connections on the PCB when I fit my interconnects!

The advantages, as I see it, of the Kali set up are:

-I can try different DACs without a complete upgrade

-I don’t have to do anything about switching and it has a power supply ‘clean-up’ built in

-There is room for upgrade; I could potentially have 3 separate linear power supplies (Pi, Kali & DAC)

I currently have a 5V/3A SMPS but am waiting on The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel for his review on linear power supplies!
    Nice plans, please keep us posted. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunicycle View Post
    Question for Audiohdwr and that is whether there is still a discount available for forum members? I know I am not a big contributor to the forum but I would like to write a review comparing this to the original HiFi Berry and my turntable and if I can persuade my friend with a rather more upmarket set up to compare it to a Linn Klimax DS!

Thanks to everyone here for their feedback on this setup which has been of great help.
    I would like to know that too Audiohdwr; I sent you an email a few days ago, did you receive that? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Maikel; 27-11-2016 at 02:34. Reason: Edit: ? for question

I'm allo.

yes i will make a discount available to all ArtofSound members.
    here are 3 codes, for 30% off available for 1 time use only
    30% 22D39DSHF34
    30% VFW394DHF82
    30% MM359DGSJP3

I'm Richard.

Thanks very much 1st code now used.

I'm Josie.

Excellent deals, Andre.

Just as Richard has done, if you guys could please let people know when the codes are used that would be great.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 30-11-2016 at 12:06.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Excellent deals, Andre.

Just as Richard has done, if you guys could please let people know when the codes are used that would be great.
    Thanks Andre, I've used a code. Had a bit of trouble getting the system to accept it, so I may have used either the second or the third one.

I'm Enrico.

All the code is used

I'm Mel.

Thanks Andre, just used the third code.

Mel

I'm Richard.

Now that it is winging its way from France can any existing owners tell me what size standoffs I need between each layer? Any preference nylon or brass for any reason whether it be SQ or just practical. Thanks Richard

I'm Mel.

Can't answer your question but based on some recent experience of buying standoffs from different sources you may also want to know what thread size to use M2.5 or M3

I'm Josie.

All codes used then... great stuff. They didn't last long
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast