+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    With respect Audiohdwr, your website states:
    "The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions."

"Registration required" reminds me of the old Haynes Workshop Manuals, where they said "Remove the flywheel nut whilst holding the flywheel still". Easier said that done!!

As somebody who is in the electronics industry I was not able to get approval from TI to download PurePath. They control who can have this software very carefully (confirmed by an ex TI employee who could have got me an old copy). I was never able to create my own specific filters and other audio functions, and since this was on of the main reasons I bought the KALI + Piano, I am disappointed!
    Hi ,
    We know of quite a few customers that have access to TI DSP file. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-ba...-volumio2.html
    We are checking the exact steps to do so, but from what I remember you have to go to support forums and request access for it..and you will get it.

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I agree Dave, the Piano 2.1 was originally launched with promise of an app or similar to reconfigure the digital filters or amend the bass output channel to something else. This was all very vaguely worded and so was read in different ways by different people.

It never seemed to come to anything and seemed to be ignored in any question to Allo. If I remember correctly various posts can be found early on in this thread and in other Forums. This was one instance where my communication with Allo support was far from good.

However, let me state clearly I like the sound Allo products deliver and its just the issues I experience and the lack of support from Allo itself which is my issue.
    My reason for not contuing with their products is only the support issues from the Allo site.

Anybody wanting an example try this recent one:

http://sparkyforum.allo.com/index.php?topic=1922.0

Surely a company who has designed a board using a third party dac chip to enable it to set its own filter settings could answer the question posted and not simply say go to somebody else?

Read others and see how many actually get a helpful solution.

Mel
    Hi,

Kali is not hat compliant ..that is correct. HAT compliance needs a specific size and , cutouts and some memory (for automated recognition still not fully implemented)
    We have the memory but not the size and the cutout (PCB size)
    So while Kali is not hat compliant , it certainly has nothing to do with i2s or i2c protocols. We assure you Kali is fully compatible with i2s , i2c and gpios .The fact that board is bigger...has nothing to do with technical compatibility

Now regarding help on software design of audio biquads, please understand that while we try our best to answer, we are not designers of audio DSPs. Surely TI forums or DIY forums are an appropriate way to get help for specific designs that suit your particular needs and equipment .
    Are we being unreasonable ?

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohdwr View Post
    Hi,

Kali is not hat compliant ..that is correct. HAT compliance needs a specific size and , cutouts and some memory (for automated recognition still not fully implemented)
    We have the memory but not the size and the cutout (PCB size)
    So while Kali is not hat compliant , it certainly has nothing to do with i2s or i2c protocols. We assure you Kali is fully compatible with i2s , i2c and gpios .The fact that board is bigger...has nothing to do with technical compatibility

Now regarding help on software design of audio biquads, please understand that while we try our best to answer, we are not designers of audio DSPs. Surely TI forums or DIY forums are an appropriate way to get help for specific designs that suit your particular needs and equipment .
    Are we being unreasonable ?
    Thank you for agreeing the Kalli does not meet the published Pi standards for interface boards.

I note you avoid the comment on operating system and hardware interface importance.

About technical support - yes I consider it to be unreasonable that you cannot answer a technical question about a product you sell.

In this instance you selected a specific DAC from TI which allowed you to reconfigure the filters (rather than the preset version) and so you have the technical ability to set them yourselves.
    Now why can you not help a customer to also reset them especially when one of your sales points was this ability.

Would you buy a car from a garage who sent you back to the engine manufacturer when you asked how to change the oil?

On the point of support I only see you as being the person who can communicate well on this and other forums.

However, looking back at your posts to members who have asked simple technical questions, and which you have then referred to your technical engineers, I see very few if any meaningful response being returned (refer to a range of posts in this thread from 153 to 167 as examples).

Finally, I started posting in this thread as being an enthusiastic user who answered questions or supported posts. From this recent debate with yourself (Andre) and the resulting replies which I then needed to support, I am probably now seen as an Allo beater which I am not.

My only issue with Allo is meaningfull post sales support. Your own website gives evidence to others on whether this can be viewed as good or bad - as can the responses from yourself in this thread for help, support.

I will make no further posts in this thread or any other in relation to Allo products

Mel

I'm allo.

Thank you for agreeing the Kalli does not meet the published Pi standards for interface boards.

I note you avoid the comment on operating system and hardware interface importance.

About technical support - yes I consider it to be unreasonable that you cannot answer a technical question about a product you sell.

In this instance you selected a specific DAC from TI which allowed you to reconfigure the filters (rather than the preset version) and so you have the technical ability to set them yourselves.
    Now why can you not help a customer to also reset them especially when one of your sales points was this ability.

Would you buy a car from a garage who sent you back to the engine manufacturer when you asked how to change the oil?

On the point of support I only see you as being the person who can communicate well on this and other forums.

However, looking back at your posts to members who have asked simple technical questions, and which you have then referred to your technical engineers, I see very few if any meaningful response being returned (refer to a range of posts in this thread from 153 to 167 as examples).

Finally, I started posting in this thread as being an enthusiastic user who answered questions or supported posts. From this recent debate with yourself (Andre) and the resulting replies which I then needed to support, I am probably now seen as an Allo beater which I am not.

My only issue with Allo is meaningfull post sales support. Your own website gives evidence to others on whether this can be viewed as good or bad - as can the responses from yourself in this thread for help, support.

I will make no further posts in this thread or any other in relation to Allo products

Mel

""I note you avoid the comment on operating system and hardware interface importance.""

Our hardware is working with i2s and i2c protocols. Its fully compatible with those protocols . Not sure why we are talking about OS.
    In any case , we apologies if you feel there is a problem with our software support on DSP files. We never intended to say that we will give support on the DSP custom designs.
    In any case, this forums is about audio , so lets go back to the music...

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohdwr View Post
    Hi ,
    We know of quite a few customers that have access to TI DSP file. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-ba...-volumio2.html
    We are checking the exact steps to do so, but from what I remember you have to go to support forums and request access for it..and you will get it.
    It's a bit late for me. i have sold my Piano 2.1 etc.
    Anyway, thanks for replying and hopefully it will help those with more staying power then me :-)

I'm Luke.

I suggest you read posts carefully Luke - I am not attacking Allo in the way Andre has taken it and responded.

I was attempting to add to the discussion the reason why I thought there may be problems.

My post was either misread or misunderstood so I have now clarified with links to sites or quotes which backup my statements.

Mel
    Fair enough Mel. Thanks for clarifying: you've made yourself much clearer in what you meant. The original post seemed a bit vague in exactly what you were criticising, more of a generalised dig at Allo not doing things by the book, so to speak, as compared to "many EU designed and made DACs", as if one minor problem experienced by a few users was symptomatic of wider issues in the quality of their products or approach. I see now that this isn't what you meant to imply

I'm Josie.

Hi guys.

Just to let you know. I'm currently running the Allo Isolator with the Boss Dac.

It's early days but so far it's really very very good indeed. So, watch this space for a full review very soon

Josie
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    So, watch this space for a full review very soon
    Tease!

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Tease!
    I'm good at that.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

The Also Boss (+ case) came yesterday and I have left it on all night to 'burn-in'. Initial impressions are very good with a more extended bass but still a little muddled I think when compared to my RPi3+ Audiophonics sabre. Mind you, the Boss is on a Rpi 2 with original PS whilst the Audiophonoics is served by a Linear PS...and different interconnects. The Boss is on Volumio and the Sabre on MoOde...so lots of little differences in set-up that may, or may not, influence the sq. I'll leave it for longer to burn-in. I have a 12v Anker battery somewhere so may try that.

Yours,
    Richard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast