+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm stuart.

Dave, it's not a problem, I suspect it'll be caused by some odd ball interaction between the rpi and the piano. I'm going to get a rasp3 and see how
    It goes with it.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Dave, it's not a problem, I suspect it'll be caused by some odd ball interaction between the rpi and the piano. I'm going to get a rasp3 and see how
    It goes with it.
    What do you think to the sound?
    I think you said you have an IQ Audio DAC+ as well. Am I the only one who prefers the sound of the IQ?

I'm stuart.

In all honesty there isn't much between USB from the pi to MDAC, IQaudio and the Piano - not sure I could tell the difference between iqaudio and Piano. Rpi USB to MDAC sounds different, up for debate what is better though!

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    It goes with it.
    It is worth remembering the Allo devices were designed to interface with their own single board computer which copied some of the Pi IO connections and did not necessarily conform to Pi standards and approvals unlike many EU designed and built DACs. They also did not run the PI op systems so it is quite possible there are anomalies when trying to mate with another device.

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    It is worth remembering the Allo devices were designed to interface with their own single board computer which copied some of the Pi IO connections and did not necessarily conform to Pi standards and approvals unlike many EU designed and built DACs. They also did not run the PI op systems so it is quite possible there are anomalies when trying to mate with another device.
    respectfully , we will like to point out that unlike "other EU designed and build DACs" we build not only DACs but also recloakers isolators, transporters , digiones ,amps, relay attenuators and more importantly our own SBCs. In regards to the approvals , please note that we have CE/FCC like all our competitors. It is wrong to suggest "and did not necessarily conform to Pi standards and approvals unlike many EU designed and built DACs"
    In regards to RPI OS...I can say that OS has nothing to do with hardware itself. The standards that you refer to do not belong to RPI, they are open standards (like i2s, i2c etc) and we fully conform to them.
    At last , if you have a problem with your hardware please send us an email and we will assist you like we assist all of our customers.
    We understand the preference that some people might have for units designed and build in EU. Our hardware is proudly build in India with some of the managers and designers proudly from EU. In the end we think that customers are free to buy whatever they want , from whomever they want and hopefully the decision is not based only on the country of manufacturing...but on innovation , good pricing and most important good sound .
    My 2 cents.

I'm Luke.

Well said, hear hear, +1 etc.

I'm Dave.

With respect Audiohdwr, your website states:
    "The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions."

"Registration required" reminds me of the old Haynes Workshop Manuals, where they said "Remove the flywheel nut whilst holding the flywheel still". Easier said that done!!

As somebody who is in the electronics industry I was not able to get approval from TI to download PurePath. They control who can have this software very carefully (confirmed by an ex TI employee who could have got me an old copy). I was never able to create my own specific filters and other audio functions, and since this was on of the main reasons I bought the KALI + Piano, I am disappointed!

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohdwr View Post
    respectfully , we will like to point out that unlike "other EU designed and build DACs" we build not only DACs but also recloakers isolators, transporters , digiones ,amps, relay attenuators and more importantly our own SBCs. In regards to the approvals , please note that we have CE/FCC like all our competitors. It is wrong to suggest "and did not necessarily conform to Pi standards and approvals unlike many EU designed and built DACs"
    In regards to RPI OS...I can say that OS has nothing to do with hardware itself. The standards that you refer to do not belong to RPI, they are open standards (like i2s, i2c etc) and we fully conform to them.
    At last , if you have a problem with your hardware please send us an email and we will assist you like we assist all of our customers.
    We understand the preference that some people might have for units designed and build in EU. Our hardware is proudly build in India with some of the managers and designers proudly from EU. In the end we think that customers are free to buy whatever they want , from whomever they want and hopefully the decision is not based only on the country of manufacturing...but on innovation , good pricing and most important good sound .
    My 2 cents.
    I am sorry if my reply was misunderstood or misread.

To clarify I did not say the Allo Pi related products did not conform to EU build and quality standards;

I stated ..some.. did not necessarily conform to PI standards.

This particular post discussion relates to the Kalli (Reclocker) /Piano 2.1 combination and the sound delivery issues which some of us experience when using it with the Pi.

Your website clearly states the Kalli "does not conform" to Pi standards as it is not HAT compliant.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html

This standard attempts to ensure third party products will work well with the PI.

Quote from the Pi website relating to compliance:

"So yes it is more than the 40 pin connector it includes the size and location of the mounting holes, how the board and its capabilities are identified and software is configured..."

As the Kalli does not comply then the Kalli/Piano package does not comply and therefore I was stating the issue may be with the Pi/Allo interface.

As for your statement that the OS does not have anything to do with hardware then I respectfully suggest you discuss the subject with your designers to fully understand the reason why standards are put in place which are both hardware and software related. One is no good with out the other and hardware and software must interface correctly in order for orderly communication to happen.

Mel
    Last edited by Cycleallday; 20-07-2017 at 13:28.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Well said, hear hear, +1 etc.
    I suggest you read posts carefully Luke - I am not attacking Allo in the way Andre has taken it and responded.

I was attempting to add to the discussion the reason why I thought there may be problems.

My post was either misread or misunderstood so I have now clarified with links to sites or quotes which backup my statements.

Mel

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    With respect Audiohdwr, your website states:
    "The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions."

"Registration required" reminds me of the old Haynes Workshop Manuals, where they said "Remove the flywheel nut whilst holding the flywheel still". Easier said that done!!

As somebody who is in the electronics industry I was not able to get approval from TI to download PurePath. They control who can have this software very carefully (confirmed by an ex TI employee who could have got me an old copy). I was never able to create my own specific filters and other audio functions, and since this was on of the main reasons I bought the KALI + Piano, I am disappointed!
    I agree Dave, the Piano 2.1 was originally launched with promise of an app or similar to reconfigure the digital filters or amend the bass output channel to something else. This was all very vaguely worded and so was read in different ways by different people.

It never seemed to come to anything and seemed to be ignored in any question to Allo. If I remember correctly various posts can be found early on in this thread and in other Forums. This was one instance where my communication with Allo support was far from good.

However, let me state clearly I like the sound Allo products deliver and its just the issues I experience and the lack of support from Allo itself which is my issue.
    My reason for not contuing with their products is only the support issues from the Allo site.

Anybody wanting an example try this recent one:

http://sparkyforum.allo.com/index.php?topic=1922.0

Surely a company who has designed a board using a third party dac chip to enable it to set its own filter settings could answer the question posted and not simply say go to somebody else?

Read others and see how many actually get a helpful solution.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast