+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Have you tried this Dave? I'm thinking of having a go myself, running a 3v3 regulator off the Kali 5v header to supply the DAC. Question is, where to connect the 3v3 to the DAC? My inclination is to go to pins 1 and 17 on the IQ header, what do you think?
    Plays nicely, sounds very good with Volumio. I'll test it in the main system next.
    I discovered that pins 1 and 17 were already joined on the DAC, so I just connected the 3v3 to pin 1.

I'm Maikel.

I have a rpi2 and I'm very interested in the Piano 2.1 and Kali combi.

Is it possible to feed power to the pi with a different powersupply then the Piano 2.1 + Kali?
    Or is it going to backpower?
    I power my pi now with Battery supply (as an UPS) and would like to feed the Piano+Kali combi with a linear power supply.
    Is that possible?

Also, does someone have experience with shipping costs to Asia (Bangkok to be precise) ?

I'm Mel.

There should be no problem using a linear supply into the Kali for the DAC and Pi.

If you want to power the Pi separately then you will need to ensure there is no power connections between it and the DAC/Kali but I can see no real benefit of such an approach.

The Allo products are primarily shipped from India (see their main site - allo.com ) so you will need to work out your shipping and taxes via that site.

Mel

I'm Maikel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    There should be no problem using a linear supply into the Kali for the DAC and Pi.

If you want to power the Pi separately then you will need to ensure there is no power connections between it and the DAC/Kali but I can see no real benefit of such an approach.

The Allo products are primarily shipped from India (see their main site - allo.com ) so you will need to work out your shipping and taxes via that site.

Mel
    Thanks for your reply. The benefit would be that a linear PSU will have a cleaner, and thus better sounding, supply.
    Because a clean supply is a good basis for DAC and Kali, I would like to feed it with linear power supply.
    It unfortunately will give me problems when we have a power cut (which happens quite often here).
    That's why I would like to supply the pi itself with the little bit more noisier, but powersafe, battery-supply (UPS).
    Best of both worlds I would like to think. You think that's possible?

Ok I will check the site again, thank you Mel

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikel View Post
    I have a rpi2 and I'm very interested in the Piano 2.1 and Kali combi.

Is it possible to feed power to the pi with a different powersupply then the Piano 2.1 + Kali?
    Or is it going to backpower?
    I power my pi now with Battery supply (as an UPS) and would like to feed the Piano+Kali combi with a linear power supply.
    Is that possible?
    It's certainly possible to power the Pi separately. You just have to remove the jumper that's near one of the corners of the Kali, next to the pwr led. That will stop the Kali supplying power to the Pi.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    Daft hobby!...

Further listening to the Pi & Piano today and I removed the short across the inductor. Sounded better without it!
    Then added the KALI and it sounded better still.
    Now the strange thing is that 1/2 hour into the listening sesh the sound suddenly opened up. WTH is going on here - I really don't want to believe in running-in of components, but?!

Anyway, I am now very happy wih the Allo Allo stuff.
    Next step is to get my filters programmed iinto purepath and see what benefits can be had from getting rid of my analogue (discrete) active crossover.
    I find it usually takes around half an hour to get used to a new setup, and then everything seems to snap into focus. Thus, first impressions can be misleading, need a bit of time.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Maikel.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    It's certainly possible to power the Pi separately. You just have to remove the jumper that's near one of the corners of the Kali, next to the pwr led. That will stop the Kali supplying power to the Pi.
    Perfect, thanks a lot

I'm Josie.

Are there any sonic advantages in powering the Pi rather than powering it via the KALI? The only problem I have with the Pi's power is the crappy micro USB plug.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Are there any sonic advantages in powering the Pi rather than powering it via the KALI? The only problem I have with the Pi's power is the crappy micro USB plug.
    No, there's probably a slight sonic disadvantage I would think.

I'm Richard.

Default Time to take a punt!

Having been using my original HiFiBerry DAC for a few years I have decided that the time has come for a change this has been prompted by a couple of things:

-Since I became a born again vinyl listener I find the 'old' HiFi Berrry quite difficult to listen to.

-There seems to have been a lot of improvement in this area particularly in the area of master clocks and reclocking (Kali and Audiophonics V2 & V3)

Because of the nature of these things I will have to take a punt on one or other based on online reviews I have decided to go for the Kali+Piano option over the Audiophonics, although I do regret the Piano DAC RCA connectors not having securing nuts like the Audiphonics as this would make fitting either a pre-made or home-made case easier. I am always slightly afraid of straining the connections on the PCB when I fit my interconnects!

The advantages, as I see it, of the Kali set up are:

-I can try different DACs without a complete upgrade

-I don’t have to do anything about switching and it has a power supply ‘clean-up’ built in

-There is room for upgrade; I could potentially have 3 separate linear power supplies (Pi, Kali & DAC)

I currently have a 5V/3A SMPS but am waiting on The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel for his review on linear power supplies!

Question for Audiohdwr and that is whether there is still a discount available for forum members? I know I am not a big contributor to the forum but I would like to write a review comparing this to the original HiFi Berry and my turntable and if I can persuade my friend with a rather more upmarket set up to compare it to a Linn Klimax DS!

Thanks to everyone here for their feedback on this setup which has been of great help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast