+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks for Mike, Moode is now grooving away with the BOSS..

Sounds fantastico
    Excellent

What settings are you using, I just have mine set pretty basic, but keen to try others to try and improve it.

I'm never sure if Software volume is ok as I thought it was always best to use hardware and use your amp to control volume?

Any chance you could give a rundown on your settings so I can copy them

I'm Luke.

I'm also interested in what settings might be tweaked for SQ optimisation. I also presume hardware volume is best, but I adjust with the UI rather than amp knob, just for convenience.

Can anyone perceive a difference between the advanced kernels? And what about​ upsampling, is it worth it? There are also some CPU handling options, the relevance of which I have no idea!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experimented and come to any conclusions (I will be trying to do this myself over time, but demands of two young children mean it will likely be a slow process of snatched opportunities).

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    I'm also interested in what settings might be tweaked for SQ optimisation. I also presume hardware volume is best, but I adjust with the UI rather than amp knob, just for convenience.
    Yes hardware volume control is always better, we will release a Relay attenuator that will work with Piano , Piano 2.1 and Boss
    We are in testing now , will post as soon as I get updates.

I'm Josie.

I am now using the RT kernel with hardware... IMO it sounds more dynamic but I didn't give the LL kernel nowhere near enough time so might go back to that later.

Before I got an error message when I changed it to Hardware but I then re-installed Moode and did Mike's instruction list again and it worked perfectly. I didn't get any error message.

So here are Mikes instructions for those wanting to use the Boss with Moode 3.5.

Hi,

Right, I've cracked it.........at last

Here is how I got it to work with MoOde 3.5

1. Clean Install of MoOde 3.5 onto the mSD card and inserted into the Pi, powered on and wait for it to boot up

2. Browsed for the Pi on my phone using FING app to see if it was connected to the network ( noting the IP address )

3. SSH'd into the Pi via Putty using the IP address found with FING (Username for MoOde is pi and Password is raspberry)

4. Copied and pasted this line into the Putty screen sudo sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "update cfg_audiodev set kernel='' where id='1'"

5. Rebooted

6. onto the PC now and the MoOde setup page and went to Configure/System and then under System Modifications chose Advanced-LL and clicked install, you need to give it time to install and wait for the reboot message, once this is seen Reboot

7. not sure if this is necessary but I had to reboot twice ?

8. Configure/System make sure under Linux Kernel that Advance-LL is selected.

9. Configure/Audio then choose Boss DAC from the I2S audio device drop down menu, it put Slave Disabled in by default

10. Reboot

11. Configure/Audio and under MPD menu click Restart MPD

12. Reboot

13. Configure/Audio and I set the volume warning limit to 100 but this is up to you.

It's all working now, just need to find out if the DAC only uses software volume or not, I always had previous DACs set to hardware and controlled the volume via the amp.

Happy Days

----
    Referencing our Moode thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...er-Help/page87
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Grant.

Not got boss but using the rt kernel too. Seems better for me anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Yep, the man from Del Monte says 'Oh aye lad, sithi'
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm rupert.

quick message to say that there is a volumio img that outputs L mono on one chip and R mono on the other..

https://volumio.org/forum/allo-piano...t5046-350.html

I'm John.

I found a way using Moode to persuade the Piano 2.1 DAC to work in dual stereo mode. (i.e. putting out full audio spectrum L and R through both DACs.)
    To do this, select resampling to 24bit, and avoid using hardware volume. In Moode 3.6, I'm using 24bit/*kHz upsampling and Software volume with Advanced Kernel.
    Useful if you're bi-amping, or want to experiment with taking L and R out from separate DACs.

I'm Luke.

As a final upgrade I am considering buying an IFI ipower smps to power both the Pi and the Boss. It seems that there are some who consider that the best results are to be had from powering the DAC directly, and backpowering the Pi from the DAC.

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure how this is done, and how easy it is to implement - has anyone here tried this or got any info? I think it involves the gpio pins, so would I need to cut the connector off the ipower and solder the connection, or might there be an easier way?

I did read about removing a jumper or resistor from the Boss, but I think this only applies if you wish to use a separate supply for each component, is that correct?

I'm John.

There's information about powering the Boss on the Allo.com website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast