+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The ALLO Audio music steamer - Pic heavy review

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    There's information about powering the Boss on the Allo.com website.
    Thanks Jonners, but it only shows how to use the j14 connection site and remove the resistor to isolate the Boss from the Pi - it doesn't mention the GPIO pin option, which I know is also possible if you want to backpower the Pi.

I'm Barry.

Just ordered a Boss plus case, looking forward to trying it with Moode 3.6

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Thanks Jonners, but it only shows how to use the j14 connection site and remove the resistor to isolate the Boss from the Pi - it doesn't mention the GPIO pin option, which I know is also possible if you want to backpower the Pi.
    IT is quite easy to use an external power supply.
    I connected it to the 1/2 and the 15/16 pins of the J19 connector on the Boss.
    Now it is powering the Boss and the Pi.
    See also:
    https://volumio.org/forum/allo-boss-t5903-90.html

Mark

I'm Luke.

Thanks for this Confirmation Mark, much appreciated. But for the benefit of a complete non DIYer like me (at least where electronics are concerned), how does one make the connection? Would I have to cut the connector off of the ipower smps and solder the bare wire onto the Boss pins? Does this automatically backpower the Pi without having to remove any tiny resistors? I'd need to know the precise procedure before risking damaging anything through my inexperience!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Thanks for this Confirmation Mark, much appreciated. But for the benefit of a complete non DIYer like me (at least where electronics are concerned), how does one make the connection? Would I have to cut the connector off of the ipower smps and solder the bare wire onto the Boss pins? Does this automatically backpower the Pi without having to remove any tiny resistors? I'd need to know the precise procedure before risking damaging anything through my inexperience!
    There is no soldering on the Boss required, just use some connectors.
    And if you want to use the IFI perhaps some soldering on a connector to connect the two cables to the Boss.
    But no damage done to the Boss at all, unless you check the polarity of the IFI ;-)
    In my setup it looks this way:

I'm Luke.

Thanks Mark, that's really useful, especially to see a picture. Still need to make up my mind whether to attempt this, since I have no soldering equipment or skills! I wonder if the difference of powering it this way is really noticeable compared to through the Pi in the usual way?

I'm Josie.

[QUOTE=LC1979;861259]Thanks Mark, that's really useful, especially to see a picture. Still need to make up my mind whether to attempt this, since I have no soldering equipment or skills! I ]
    One thing I would suggest for any future BOSS is to have the same power connector as the KALI. The small USB plug on the RPI IMO is it's weakest point.

I would like to know if powering like above would be sonically more beneficial.

My BOSS is still grooving... very impressed with upsampling set to max too!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Al.

I've read on another forum some time ago that the RPI has a protection diode in the usb power socket that can drop the voltage slightly. If I recall correctly the guy who had built a PSU had set his output to 5.2 volts to compensate. I'll see if I can find the original post.

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder
    I would like to know if powering like above would be sonically more beneficial.
    I thought that I had read people claiming this, but the folk over at DIYaudio seem to think possibly not that noticeable. The real gains more seem to agree on is by isolating them and powering separately. I won't be doing this any time soon, as I have no soldering skills!

I'm allo.

hey guys,

i see talks about feeding clean power to the BOSS...
    see attached pictures of our ISOLATOR board that does just that!

Also you can see pictures of:
    our miniBOSS, a master DAC for the piZERo
    the DigiONE, a BNC and coaxial output board

let me know your thoughts!!

these are all under testing , more info about release date soon!

Andre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ALLO.com; 11-05-2017 at 12:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast