+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R Core transformers and Chokes for my power supply.

I'm Simon.

I run a pair of Hammond 158t in the paradise phonostages that I build, be aware that they are better placed between two large psu capacitors than on the end of a capacitor filter board where they can be induced to ring. Absolutely don't place them between traffo and diodes that's a recipe for ringing.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Ian.

My intention is to use the choke as a choke input filter.
    I am about to build a breadboard LT 3080 supplying the control voltage to an LT3083. The choke input filter being used on the 3080 which only needs to supply 50ma max .Ill report back as to how I get on. The application notes for the LT series regulators suggest using a dc/dc converter upstream of the regulators, an area I have never ventured into as yet.
    This supply was intended for use on a phono pre project Im starting and I found this on the net https://linearaudio.nl/silentswitcher Initially attracted by the specification re noise and output impedance I noted the similarity between the DC/DC regs on the LT series application notes.
    I hope to get hold of a silent switcher if they become available as Im sure I would have difficulty trying to get near that noise spec even with a Jung Reg.
    Amazing how starting to look at R core to see if its better than a torroid re mains noise performance and Im now looking at what is essentially an smps supply !

One interesting point however I have two Benchmark DACS, both excellent specifications. The DAC 2 betters the DAC1, The DAC 2 has an SMPS supply
    Has SMPS come of age for audio use while I have my head in the sand with big trafos and regulator dissipating lots of power.?
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12