+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R Core transformers and Chokes for my power supply.

I'm Ian.

Default R Core transformers and Chokes for my power supply.

Spent last week rebuilding my power supply for my CAPS streamer.
    After much work with LT and LM series regulators I could not get the unwanted transients down to a level I wanted. (Hum& noise is better than -110dbv but transient across the spectrum are proving difficult to get rid of)

I have concluded that a redesign using a Choke input filter is the way I should go and am looking for Cokes and if possible an R transformer John Swensons design, case inards photo http://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2...r-power-supply gives an idea as where I want to go.
    Getting Chokes that are reasonably sized for higher current applications seem difficult to come by, plenty out there for the Valve amp. power supply and some for a DC Heater supply.

Anyone any idea as to UK suppliers for R cores and Chokes

many thanks
    Ianmac
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm stuart.

Mouser usually have a good selection of chokes, that's where i got the one for the John Swenson power supply I built.

I'm Jez.

You can get R cores cheaply on ebay from China. There is precisely ZERO advantage to using them though....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Ian.

One source for R cores Ive come across
    http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai...=55&group_id=7
    So far nothing in the UK. Trying to avoid sending to China but it may be where I have to go.

Still researching Chokes, Sowter Transformers, have a limited range and will build to order at a price.
    Found and old bolt frame transformer in my workshop which looks like its good for a rebuild to a choke.
    Ill have a go at a rewind to let me continue with my PSU research
    Im also looking at the issues associated with using an SMPS supply with a linear regulator output. The devil will be in getting rid of the fast risetime transients.
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I bought my R-cores through Selectronic in France. I think they are made in India. No hassle at all. One in my Hagerman step up and the other in my heater circuit. Do the job fine.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have you tried here, they should wind to order I think-

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.u...?p=xfrmrchokes
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

hi
    ive used that vt4c.com site afew times over the years,no problem with them and i found them fast and efficient and good to deal with,if that was a concern or worry,saying that ,i havent used them for afew years now
    regards
    smithie

I'm Ian.

Well Im finding out the hard way that using chokes for choke input filters on high current supplies is not such a bright idea. Size, availability and cost are issues.
    There are a few sites warning one that a choke to be used as an input filter has a different specification to one used as part of a capacitive filter but none give you the precise details. I assume ripple current rating and DC resistance are issues.
    I have emailed Hammond re this but no reply to date.
    An alternative I'm looking at is to use an LT3080 as a regulator for the control circuitry of an LT3083. The 3083 only requires about 17ma or 1.7% of load current.Hoping it will be easier to get a cleaner low current supply. A low current(100ma) choke suitable for use an input filter is available from Sowter Transformer but £104. !!
    I currently have my supply working with LM 338 regs wired in pairs with one as a floating pre reg.
    Ill keep plodding on with this, awaiting some LT3083's.
    Ian

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
    Spent last week rebuilding my power supply for my CAPS streamer.
    After much work with LT and LM series regulators I could not get the unwanted transients down to a level I wanted. (Hum& noise is better than -110dbv but transient across the spectrum are proving difficult to get rid of)

I have concluded that a redesign using a Choke input filter is the way I should go and am looking for Cokes and if possible an R transformer John Swensons design, case inards photo http://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2...r-power-supply gives an idea as where I want to go.
    Getting Chokes that are reasonably sized for higher current applications seem difficult to come by, plenty out there for the Valve amp. power supply and some for a DC Heater supply.

Anyone any idea as to UK suppliers for R cores and Chokes

many thanks
    Ianmac

5mH@ 15 amps. Any good to you?.

I'm Ian.

I got a reply today from Hammond which I can apply to their range of chokes available from Mouser as mentioned above by Killie.
    Hammonds reply--

My understanding is , choke input applications have higher ripple current ( AC current ) than an output inductor. Our normal design theory is 100% DC current rated plus 10 % accounted for the ripple current passing through. Remember , the DC current is above the zero axis and the ac ride on that DC level but all in one direction. We gap the core to operate in than condition.

Choke input has more ripple % current due to its application.

My recommendation is specify and inductor at the higher end of the inductance range plus specify the current at 2 X or more of the actual current load.

This will minimize the ripple current and provide enough head room at peak currents to prevent saturation of the core.

Thanks Peter, I think I now have a solution using a Hammond choke about 2H @100Ma and a LT3080 and 3083.
    Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast