+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossover - Suggestions for Modifications

I'm Paul.

Just use Solen polys. Cheap as chips and good enough for megabucks speakers like Verity Audio loudspeakers. Available from Falcon Acoustics.

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Really struggling to find any low cost 8.2uF poly caps to try instead of those HF electrolytics - they appear to be more than I bought the Wharfs for. Any suggestion were I can buy two to have ago would be really appreciated.

Regards
    I too had all kinds of trepidations when I first started fiddling with crossovers.. back when Electricity was New.
    More than likely those 8.2 uf Electros you are concerned with are anywhere near their printed values.
    Prolly anywhere betwixt 5 uf and 10 uf.
    Unlikely to be consistent between crossovers either
    A cap meter is educational in this. But also another gizmo to clutter ones' workspace And misplace.

As above: Buy a pair of Solens and be amazed by their effect.

Thanks to everyone for the advise and encouragement.

I have taken the xovers out of the cabinet and looking for a couple of small boxes to mount them into. Used a bit of spare Avondale black link to rewire them to the speaker as well. Bought two cheap polyethylene caps (8.2uF) from Blue Aran for the high frequency and they are sounding different. A bit clearer on highs and more precise sounding than before - think that the swap out is a keeper.

My eye is now looking to the other elcap on the low frequency and against good advise thinking about a poly there as well! Not sure about this tho as don't want to reduce bass response at all.

Regards

danilo Guest

Poly is a Fine substitute for the LF electro.
    However a passable Flim Foil will be rather large. Fitting could be an issue.
    Also it's resistance should approximate that of the original Electro.
    Measure it and the New film cap. Best measure both Crossover's LF electros as their values have likely age drifted
    and there is also good chance they were different even when new
    Average the measured values. Add a series resistor to the film cap to make up the difference.
    No worries re losing Bass from this

You might also consider fitting a Line level crossover IF you have an 'extra' amp.
    Cheap and easy ish :-)
    http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html

Cheapish speakers seem to benefit most from Biamping/line level crossovers.
    That should keep you busy.

So far so good and really like the sound changes that the low cost poly caps have brought. Much cleaner sound than the elcaps that were in previously.

Looking at the ceramic resistor - 5w 3.9 ohms and 10% tolerance I think and wondered if there was any mileage swapping one this out as well? Not sure what type to go for - mills?

Added a few photos - just got to find / make a couple of boxes next for the xovers and have ordered a few low cost sockets as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

Nothing to be gained by changing the resistor.

Have a look for plain wood boxes on eBay.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

danilo Guest

Great! Surprisingly those LF caps seem as way small, at least for 15uf ers. Good find.
    Have a 1$ store in your world ?
    Here they typically stock a variety of decently built wooden boxes (of 1/8" light plywood usually) in a variety of sizes /shapes
    These make for quite good homes for diy Audio bits... sometimes even permanent ones.
    Easier than trying to find a usable cardboard box.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12