+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak tl12 plus

I'm Simon.

Default Leak tl12 plus

I am picking up a pair of these very soon , the person who is selling them has two sets, a charcoal set and an earlier champagne set , I have the choice of either as he wants one set for himself . The charcoal set which think date to late 60's have mullard valves and is serviced and running well, the champagne set which think are late 1950's have non standard valves ,they were serviced a while ago but not run much since. I was initially going for the charcoal set mainly because I preffered the colour and thought have mullard valves would be better, however should I go for the earlier set as probably rarer, I am not buying them as an investment or a quick buck but realise if I don't get a set soon I will be priced out of the market and as these are very reasonable decided to take the plunge. However I would like to have the most desirable set as I have been given the option, I realise it's very difficult for comments as bit of a stupid question but any thoughts might help.
    Thanks
    Simon

I'm Simon.

Default Leak tl12

Just checked my notes and the champagne ones are 1958-59 and the charcoal ones are 1967 .
    Thanks

I'm Alex.

I have no real knowledge of these amps, I remember that about 1967 my friend had one! It was champagne coloured.

But, possibly go on condition, cosmetic and components.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

As Spendorman says generally.
    The later ones had some changes such as different output transformer spec which were designed to cut the stress on the EL84's and prevent any risk of thermal runaway in them...
    Earlier type probably better sound quality as higher HT used and greater amount of screen grid feedback. early ones likely to be harder on the output valves and will need decent ones fitted for them to work for longer than a few minutes in the worst cases...
    I recommend Russian 6p14EB (exact name will very depending on translation of the cyrillic) as a good sturdy replacement for EL84s.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Simon.

Hi
    Thanks for the replies spendorman and arkless ,pros and cons with both then so will wait till I see them in the flesh and decide then.
    Cheers
    Simon

+ Reply to Thread