+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Items That Have Been A Revelation on Your Hi-fi Journey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Panos.

My revelation was the Croft SuperMicroII back in 1989. It just blew all competition away, irrespective of the price (i.e. even 3-5 times more expensive).
    I am still enjoying it (with some upgrades since then).
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Steve.

Klyne 7 pre amp & a pair of stacked 57s

I'm stuart.

Impulse H2's.

I had been using Linn Kabers when I got the chance to buy a pair of H2's in 2002. On my nearly 40 years journey in HiFi this is the single biggest upgrade I have ever made, a true WOW moment. H2's were replaced in 2013 with Impulse Ta'us and in 2016 they were replaced with Monitor Audio PL300's. The MA's aren't necessarily better, just different.

I'm Nial.

A Hi Fi shop owners own home system, mainly Quad using electrostatics, playing Osibisa when I was a teenager. Big Edinburgh new town room with round corners...Farkinelle....I was hooked.

Meridian M1's at Lintone Audio a few years later...bass guitar sounded like someone had plugged in and was playing along, in a good way.

A homebrewed system in South Africa, 3 ribbons along the Day Sequera lines, transmission line bass, Tannoy Autographs used as subs, driven mainly by a Radford STA 25. In a huge converted garage, this is still the best system I've ever heard by a considerable margin, and still the one I mentally measure up changes in my own system against. Not only capable of effortlessly imaging outside the speakers, it's party piece was imaging behind you, no kidding.

There might have been one or two Tannoy moments, too...I'm sure it can be imagined the kind of thing I'm talking about

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    A homebrewed system in South Africa, 3 ribbons along the Day Sequera lines, transmission line bass, Tannoy Autographs used as subs, driven mainly by a Radford STA 25. In a huge converted garage, this is still the best system I've ever heard by a considerable margin, and still the one I mentally measure up changes in my own system against. Not only capable of effortlessly imaging outside the speakers, it's party piece was imaging behind you, no kidding.
    I guess this was an active set up? Analogue or digital?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nial.

It was digital.
    CD was Jolida and I believe the pre was Musical Fidelity. I think the magic was the speakers and the room. It wasn't active as such but possibly the Autographs had their own amp but can't exactly remember the configuration. Definitely no active crossover though.

Autos had HPDs in, that I do remember, and only the bass cone was driven. Not the lowest bass I've ever heard - he was an organ enthusiast - but very clean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678