+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted with Ferrograph S1 speakers please

I'm Lawrence.

Default Help wanted with Ferrograph S1 speakers please

Ive just bought these as they seem to have a good reputation as vintage speakers go plus I love the Kef B139 woofer.unfortunately one of the tweeters isn't working so I was wondering how easy they are to get hold of, they look like the goodmans type.

incidentally the kefs are the later type with the narrower frame these don't seem to be as common on the s1 compared to the bigger oval frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Goodmans dt3 tweeter i believe in those originally, although they changed them i think later... you can use audax domes in place but a search may find you one. Mid were goodmans too
    Last edited by struth; 24-09-2016 at 10:13.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks I saw that but it doesn't say DT3 on the back so I'm wondering if the spec is different.

I'm Chris.

Probably worth buying a pair

I'm Grant.

Maybe a later version. Not easy keeping thesec vintage speakers going. Maybe that speaker parts replacement co whose name escapes me will have a equivollent.. you could replace both and keep the single till you come across one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Update.. I took the tweeter out but all wires were fine. Took the inner screws and had a fiddle. As a last resort I turned the volume up a fair bit and it started working! Must have needed to be "unstuck". They had been in storage about 10 years apparently.

I'm Lawrence.

Next thing will probably be to replace the capacitors. I think there's 10 a side so not an easy job. Hopefully the crossover can be accessed via the b139. Haven't really got the time but I understand it will be worth it given the reputation these have. PS Grant I spotted in the supertweeter thread you had a spare pair and asked about the possibility of buying them depending on the spec. Thanks

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Update.. I took the tweeter out but all wires were fine. Took the inner screws and had a fiddle. As a last resort I turned the volume up a fair bit and it started working! Must have needed to be "unstuck". They had been in storage about 10 years apparently.
    Sounds like a dry joint or iffy connection to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Next thing will probably be to replace the capacitors.
    Are they of a type that will need changing? Changing electrolytics may be worth doing but otherwise I'd leave them alone apart from remaking all soldered joints in order to avoid problems like the one with the tweeter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast