+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed, using a volume pot as a pre amp..

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Another part of the world has an alternate point of view... so much so that's why God gave us buffers.
    But Hey! fill yer boots :-)
    We were discussing passives I believe.... May I suggest you read some manuals such as "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill... or maybe "The ladybird Book Of Electronics" (do you have that in the colonies?) before engaging any further in matters of a technical nature. But hey! maybe electrons spin different in the boondocks...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    maybe "The ladybird Book Of Electronics" (do you have that in the colonies?) ...
    Sadly no such tome exists, either here or in the Colonies. Found this one though:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ralph.

I would try a pot in a box first to gauge how a passive would work in your system. If it hits the spot then carry on with your idea. I can recommend the Alps pot. Forget the Tocos, a lovely sounding pot blighted with abysmal channel balance and the reason HiFi Collective no longer stock them.
    Ralph.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I would try a pot in a box first to gauge how a passive would work in your system. If it hits the spot then carry on with your idea. I can recommend the Alps pot. Forget the Tocos, a lovely sounding pot blighted with abysmal channel balance and the reason HiFi Collective no longer stock them.
    Tocos monos are absolutely fine, and as good as Blue Alps. Alps channel balance is also not fabulous, nor are many at that end of the spectrum, but yes, Tocos stereo pot probably best avoided

If just going a pot in the box, just ensure that you pick a pot value which worst case offers adequate impedance for your source, and low enough for your power amp combined with source output impedance. I would advise using coax. Why would you not? Keep runs short. There are several ways to effect a ground (ground plane, star earth or switched individual earth). I prefer switched individual earthing as it keeps input signal paths discrete from input to output...a good thing.

I'm Jeff.

cheers guys, tbh I've put the amp upgrade on hold for a bit and I've just spent that money on a Nessie Vinylmaster

I figured that was a more sensible thing to do .
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Tocos monos are absolutely fine, and as good as Blue Alps. Alps channel balance is also not fabulous, nor are many at that end of the spectrum, but yes, Tocos stereo pot probably best avoided

If just going a pot in the box, just ensure that you pick a pot value which worst case offers adequate impedance for your source, and low enough for your power amp combined with source output impedance. I would advise using coax. Why would you not? Keep runs short. There are several ways to effect a ground (ground plane, star earth or switched individual earth). I prefer switched individual earthing as it keeps input signal paths discrete from input to output...a good thing.
    Good channel balance was the reason the blue Alps came into being and I've never found one lacking in this respect I have been very impressed though by a very cheap stereo pot I am trying for my new pre amp as the entry level vol control. About £1.70 but excellent channel balance and sound. Both on a par with Alps Blue for this sample. Consistency may be another matter of course!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Good channel balance was the reason the blue Alps came into being and I've never found one lacking in this respect I have been very impressed though by a very cheap stereo pot I am trying for my new pre amp as the entry level vol control. About £1.70 but excellent channel balance and sound. Both on a par with Alps Blue for this sample. Consistency may be another matter of course!
    I may have been unlucky Jez but have experienced poor channel matching with a range of pots including Alps. I prefer mono pots anyway but it's a personal thing. Will be trying some ladder type SMD stepped pots in due course which promise to be pretty good.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I may have been unlucky Jez but have experienced poor channel matching with a range of pots including Alps. I prefer mono pots anyway but it's a personal thing. Will be trying some ladder type SMD stepped pots in due course which promise to be pretty good.
    Maybe you got the Friday afternoon one I've never had a problem with the many Alps Blue pots I've used. I can't be doing with mono pots for my own use... kind of makes a mockery of all the trouble one goes to in channel matching if one then uses separate right and left pots...
    Stepped attenuators are the bizz but unfortunately a bloody fortune!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12