+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improvements for Technics 1210 for mixing

I'm Jonathan.

Default Improvements for Technics 1210 for mixing

Hi all,

So my first post, I have a nice meridian system for my general listening but am buying some old 1210 to do some mixing again being a past dj.
    What I wondered is are there improvements I can/should make to the 1210 to get the best from them but still remaining rugged enough for mixing.

Jonathan

I'm Kevin.

Have a look in the Techiepedia section.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Neil.

I don't see the point in modding them if you're using them for mixing, so, rather than mod the decks themselves, put the money into a decent mixer.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jonathan.

I think im more looking for tweaks rather than anything substantial, as you say im only mixing but it is nice to have it performing to its possible best.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Longmanjon View Post
    I think im more looking for tweaks rather than anything substantial, as you say im only mixing but it is nice to have it performing to its possible best.
    Isonoe feet with the sorbothane damping discs that Isonoe make for them, suitable way of dealing with club and room vibration issues. After that no, I think any audiophile improvements such as PSU or platter mat that would be audible in an audiophile system won't be heard in a DJ environment, so therefore not worthy of the expense. I would also stick with slip mats and DJ carts. Any audiophile arm isn't made for scratching and backwards cueing so stick with the supplied arm.
    Regards Neil

I'm Bhavik.

I've just upgraded my Technics with a Jelco 750D tonearm and this does make a huge difference to the sound and tracking quality. I'd say if you were to use this arm for djing it would be fine.

I know the person above has mentioned that changing arm wouldn't help as they are no designed for scratching etc, however the original arm was never designed for djing in the first place. Some places such a Phonica records use the Mastersounds Technics with Rega arms for djing, they get used day in day out, and no issue.

I tried the Technics Jelco combo vs my Vestax PDX-D3s turntables using Shure Whitelabel carts on my Allen & Heath Zone:92R mixer and the Technics sounds really good, so much more accurate. If you have an opportunity to try it, go for it.

Isonoe who sell the isolation feet and boots also sell the Jelco, but under their own name.

http://www.isonoe.com/products/tonearm-bases/

+ Reply to Thread