+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supertweeters

I'm Jerry.

Default Supertweeters

I am intrigued by supertweeters. Most people say they don't hear much out of them but they make a difference. Why don't manufacturers of speakers stick them in their boxes? How do you connect them?
    Let's have some views from AOS members who have tried them.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

If the output from a supertweeter is audibly noticeable, then it's not being used correctly.

They have been 'stuck in boxes' as it were. IMF, Spendor, Rogers and B&W used them to augment the top end of speakers that featured the Celestion HF1300 tweeter.

I've tried supertweeters in various configurations. They do work, but should operate at a level where what they do is only noticed by its absence. In other words, if you have them running, then disconnect them and the music seems to 'shrink' a bit, then you are getting the desired effect when they are connected.

I've tried Coles 4001 series units, KEF T27, Celestion HF2000, Decca DK30 ribbons, Isophon horns and even the Goodmans DT3 amongst others. The HF2000 and DK30 being far better than the others, probably because of their smooth response.

Supertweeters are easy to try out. Just wire them up with a series capacitor. Start with a very small value, for an 8 ohm unit maybe 0.1 uF and work upwards in values until the effect on the sound is noticed. Fancier filters can be used giving steeper slopes, but a single cap is OK for experimentation. You can play with the phase too, by reversing polarity. This can improve things, or not.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Literally every 'super-tweeter' I have encountered (including my own) have produced significant output well into the audible spectrum - in other words, well below 20 KHz.

Gotta go right now but will write a bit more on the subject later.
    Account Deleted

I'm brian.

Many rave reviews about the Townshend super tweeters, even improving bass performance apparently ?, never had an audition. Can vouch for
    some of his other stuff though, interesting subject.

I'm Neil.

Its like the effect of ATRAC on Mini Disc, frequencies and info felt by the process that are not heard are discarded in the recording, but this process is audible and presents a drop in quality. In reverse sound we are not supposed to be able to hear still has an impact on us and this where super tweeters come in..... at least that is what the theory says.

Not had an opportunity to try an add on super tweeter, but my Anthony Gallo Reference 3s tweeter is a super tweeter.
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    I have been using a pair of the townshend Super tweeters for a while now, and yes, not only do they affect the high frequency perception,and imaging, but the bass is also improved, I have pondered about why this might be, and there are sevral theories.
    Even my Dad who is now 78 comented one day when he came in the room for listen, I played a track on the system without them, and then again with them in, and he could imediately hear the diffrence, so much so, that he decided to purchase a pair for himself!
    As we get older in genral, our high frequency perception drops off, so if you think about a super tweeter as just a high frequency extension, then certainly in my Dads case anyway, they shouldnt realy make any diffrence, but they clearly do.
    Now I am not saying they are the be all, and end all, and some may try them, and find their presence to intruding, or be less than impressed by what they experience, However [IMHO] they do seem to have an affect on most' if not all the Audio frequency bandwidth, which until you hear it, its hard to imagine this to be the case.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Hugo.

If you resolve bass information from real instruments, there are HF harmonic components stretching out to the auditory horizon and beyond. Those harmonics are essential to the 'feel' and 'shape' of the instrument's sound across all frequencies, but this is why supertweeters can have an apparent effect on bass reproduction, even though simplistic 20Hz-20kHz frequency domain thinking tells us that this cannot happen.

I'm Grant.

When i tried them, i perceived an effect on bass too, although i was informed by the informed that this cannot happen.. still, it did in my view.. Overall i preferred the system without them. Still have a couple of sets lying in shed unused... ribbon and horn i think. One boxed set i used were sold to someone on here...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    If you resolve bass information from real instruments, there are HF harmonic components stretching out to the auditory horizon and beyond. Those harmonics are essential to the 'feel' and 'shape' of the instrument's sound across all frequencies, but this is why supertweeters can have an apparent effect on bass reproduction, even though simplistic 20Hz-20kHz frequency domain thinking tells us that this cannot happen.
    I've mentioned this before on AoS, going back to research I did when I was at JVC in the late 70s. You also have to take into account the intermodulation of the ultrasonic with the audible frequencies. This intermodulation product is both audible and measurable, albeit at very low level. It all helps to give us better perception of the soundstage. Inter modulation of sub bass and audible frequencies is part of the equation too.

I'm scott.

subs improve HF & supertweeters improve LF
    most normal STs are not really getting high into ultrasonics 30/40khz usually , great STs get way up to 150khz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast