+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp #1 questions

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish
    2. When I plug both linear supplies in (Maplin test bench supplies with front meters)
    I'd love to see a photo of the front panel of your PSUs. I'd also like to see how you are connecting them to the ACA

My questions:
    Is it safe to have two PSU plugged in and switched on at the same time. It's obviously worked fine for at least three owners using the SMPS, so I'm asking theoretically.
    Possibly, but it depends on how you are connecting things.

Is it safe to run the amp at 12v, or will that damage anything?
    It will be fine at 12V, but your output will be somewhere in the vicinity of 1 watt. And that vicinity will be lower...

How many amps should the amp be fed at 19v if running from one supply? I have a 19v LPSU that can put out 5 or 6 amps I believe, but I'm not willing to try it unless that should be fine (it cost more than the Maplin supplies)
    Probably just one.

If you really want to make the ACA sound better, get two 24V laptop PSUs. This will increase the power, give you a couple volts more output swing, and let the amp clip later. The only reason why 24V wasn't originally used was cost, there wasn't a 24V laptop brick available in bulk for the price of the 19V ones supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    1. Running with the original (19v 4.7A) SMPS supplies the amp sounds great and I have no issues.
    Aha! Problem solved.
    Last edited by 6L6; 20-09-2016 at 18:43.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123