+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp #1 questions

I'm Jez.

I had a quick look at the amp camp thingy.... there seems to be no big caps and so the PSU will be fairly critical to the sound. Also although I was avin a larf about the DC cable this does make it more critical! It needs to be thick... 30A or more for best results.

And he's nicked my idea!! I came up with an idea about 20 years ago where I would design an amp for easy self build then charge folk to come and build them together with my help.. another part of the plan was my top chef hi fi nut mate would do amazing food on the evening and help me with the "students" during the day... We had a think about it.. for about 1 minute... before deciding it could work great... if we had loads of money to hire a venue, put the kits together and get insured for it....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

danilo Guest

IF you are happy with the ACA's sounds.
    Then simply buy /build this: It Works 'as advertised' Period. build it dual or Mono.. lotsa pointless choices. Cheapish too
    I certainly wouldn't dick around with something that's likely 'goofy' to start with.
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power...ild-guide.html
    Frankly I'd think about buying another ACA kit from the DiyAudio.com 'shop' ...affordable, dead easy and you know it will be done correctly .. or not :-).

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Then simply buy /build this: It Works 'as advertised' Period. build it dual or Mono.. lotsa pointless choices. Cheapish too
    I certainly wouldn't dick around with something that's likely 'goofy' to start with.
    Frankly I'd think about buying another ACA kit from the DiyAudio.com 'shop' ...affordable, dead easy and you know it will be done correctly .. or not :-).
    It's a + & - 25V supply and isn't regulated....

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I had a quick look at the amp camp thingy.... there seems to be no big caps and so the PSU will be fairly critical to the sound. Also although I was avin a larf about the DC cable this does make it more critical! It needs to be thick... 30A or more for best results.

And he's nicked my idea!! I came up with an idea about 20 years ago where I would design an amp for easy self build then charge folk to come and build them together with my help.. another part of the plan was my top chef hi fi nut mate would do amazing food on the evening and help me with the "students" during the day... We had a think about it.. for about 1 minute... before deciding it could work great... if we had loads of money to hire a venue, put the kits together and get insured for it....
    If you'd thought it through further you could have ditched the hi-fi altogether and had the attendees do their own baking, made a competition out of it, and then then sold the idea to the BBC.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    If you'd thought it through further you could have ditched the hi-fi altogether and had the attendees do their own baking, made a competition out of it, and then then sold the idea to the BBC.
    Hindsight eh?

I'm Andy.

Thanks for the link, but whilst I might have a go at building a Camp Amp to teach myself electronics there's no way I'd touch a PSU project - that would be suicide by DIY. I would like to be able to do that, but I need to get some proper training first.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Hindsight eh?
    You need eye's in yer bum for that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

danilo Guest

Right.. that's why Nelson is 'famous' and others are not.
    Elegantly simple Pass design A amps don't actually benefit from PSU Regulation.
    Many have trod that path.. pointlessly. Old notions persist though.

If there are contrary design opinions, discuss them with Pass ?

I'm Jez.

Whatever

montesquieu Guest

Er I think the you are looking for the Nelson Pass fanboy / love-in forum ... from memory it's on your side of the pond.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast