+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp #1 questions

I'm Andy.

Default Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp #1 questions

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I bought a secondhand DIY Camp Amp #1 a while ago and recently tried using linear power supplies with it. I'm getting some odd results though and would like to run this past those of you who actually know what you're doing with electronics ('cos I sure don't). This is just plugging stuff in, no actual DIY.

1. Running with the original (19v 4.7A) SMPS supplies the amp sounds great and I have no issues.
    2. When I plug both linear supplies in (Maplin test bench supplies with front meters) turning up the voltage on one also turns up the voltage on the other. If I reverse the wires on both the same thing happens. If I alternate so red to black on one and red to red on the other the ammeter hits the end stop hard and is presumably a short (yes, I actually tried that...)
    3. If I just have one PSU switched on or plugged in then both channels play normally. The same is true when using the SMPS.
    4. If I run the LPSU at 12v the power consumption is about 200mA and everything works. If I turn the voltage up towards 19v the ammeter start to run away ahead of me and hits the end stop (3A). I switch it off at that point so don't know what happens next.
    5. Using one or both SMPS the power consumption according to my AC regenerator doesn't change: it's pretty consistently 57 watts above that for my sources, with a little more after first switch on.
    6. My first experiment with the LPSU had connectors with metal ends. I've now switched to connectors with plastic ends but I get the same results.

My questions:
    Is it safe to have two PSU plugged in and switched on at the same time. It's obviously worked fine for at least three owners using the SMPS, so I'm asking theoretically. I think the amp sounds a little weaker with one, but I may be imagining it.
    Is it safe to run the amp at 12v, or will that damage anything?
    How many amps should the amp be fed at 19v if running from one supply? I have a 19v LPSU that can put out 5 or 6 amps I believe, but I'm not willing to try it unless that should be fine (it cost more than the Maplin supplies).

Any comments or abuse welcome. I don't expect a warranty with a DIY amp so I'm not bothered (and being able to run it off one PSU is actually a bonus), I just want to make sure it's electrically safe.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I bought a secondhand DIY Camp Amp #1 a while ago and recently tried using linear power supplies with it. I'm getting some odd results though and would like to run this past those of you who actually know what you're doing with electronics ('cos I sure don't). This is just plugging stuff in, no actual DIY.

1. Running with the original (19v 4.7A) SMPS supplies the amp sounds great and I have no issues.
    2. When I plug both linear supplies in (Maplin test bench supplies with front meters) turning up the voltage on one also turns up the voltage on the other. If I reverse the wires on both the same thing happens. If I alternate so red to black on one and red to red on the other the ammeter hits the end stop hard and is presumably a short (yes, I actually tried that...)
    3. If I just have one PSU switched on or plugged in then both channels play normally. The same is true when using the SMPS.
    4. If I run the LPSU at 12v the power consumption is about 200mA and everything works. If I turn the voltage up towards 19v the ammeter start to run away ahead of me and hits the end stop (3A). I switch it off at that point so don't know what happens next.
    5. Using one or both SMPS the power consumption according to my AC regenerator doesn't change: it's pretty consistently 57 watts above that for my sources, with a little more after first switch on.
    6. My first experiment with the LPSU had connectors with metal ends. I've now switched to connectors with plastic ends but I get the same results.

My questions:
    Is it safe to have two PSU plugged in and switched on at the same time. It's obviously worked fine for at least three owners using the SMPS, so I'm asking theoretically. I think the amp sounds a little weaker with one, but I may be imagining it.
    Is it safe to run the amp at 12v, or will that damage anything?
    How many amps should the amp be fed at 19v if running from one supply? I have a 19v LPSU that can put out 5 or 6 amps I believe, but I'm not willing to try it unless that should be fine (it cost more than the Maplin supplies).

Any comments or abuse welcome. I don't expect a warranty with a DIY amp so I'm not bothered (and being able to run it off one PSU is actually a bonus), I just want to make sure it's electrically safe.
    Does your linear power supply have sufficient capacity? You say when using a SMPS your AC regenerator shows a power consumption of 57W. With a supply voltage of 19V, a power consumption of 57W implies a current of exactly 3A - the limit of the ammeter scale on the LPSU.
    Barry

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Does your linear power supply have sufficient capacity? You say when using a SMPS your AC regenerator shows a power consumption of 57W. With a supply voltage of 19V, a power consumption of 57W implies a current of exactly 3A - the limit of the ammeter scale on the LPSU.
    I don't believe the Maplin ones do, I think they're rated up to 2.5A (although I'm not sure at what Voltage that was listed). I was only using those as I had two identical ones, so I'll switch to something else if it's just 3A overall. Does using two PSU (presumably in parallel) double the current output so they provide 1.5A each, or does it not work like that?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    I don't believe the Maplin ones do, I think they're rated up to 2.5A (although I'm not sure at what Voltage that was listed). I was only using those as I had two identical ones, so I'll switch to something else if it's just 3A overall. Does using two PSU (presumably in parallel) double the current output so they provide 1.5A each, or does it not work like that?
    No, I don't think it is quite as simple as that. Perhaps a member who is also a power supply expert can help?
    Barry

I'm Grant.

No its not that simple, but can be done. Jez might know the correct method.. i would be inclined to just get a bigger linear supply
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

It sounds as if you will need a bigger power supply... but just one! Trying to put voltage sources in parallel will usually end in tears... Get a single supply of 6A or more. Or are you trying to run it with a PSU per channel? This should work...
    Don't short power supplies etc like you did! If using PSU's without short and overload protection you would have killed them instantly!!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Oh and if there are 1000's of uF of caps already fitted in the amp as smoothing caps I would expect little difference from changing PSU's...

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It sounds as if you will need a bigger power supply... but just one! Trying to put voltage sources in parallel will usually end in tears... Get a single supply of 6A or more. Or are you trying to run it with a PSU per channel? This should work...
    Don't short power supplies etc like you did! If using PSU's without short and overload protection you would have killed them instantly!!
    The Camp Amp is supposed to be dual mono with two PSU, but this one has been built into one chassis. That should be fine and they should still be dual mono, but clearly the PSU connectors are linked in some way (maybe at the power switch). The Maplin test bench supplies are pretty resilient (thankfully) but not quite powerful enough, so as we've worked out its 3A max I'm running it off a single HDPlex PSU instead. I'm not sure it's an improvement, but that may be because I've not used this DC cable before so I'll give it a while before deciding what to do next. The LPSU is slightly noisier through the speakers than the SMPS though, with the cheap SMPS being silent.

I'm Jez.

Well obviously the DC cable is critical

There should be no noise from a good LPSU running correctly. If you know how to then separate the power connections in the amp so you you have two completely independent channels. The Maplins supplies should handle one channel each then.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Well obviously the DC cable is critical

There should be no noise from a good LPSU running correctly. If you know how to then separate the power connections in the amp so you you have two completely independent channels. The Maplins supplies should handle one channel each then.
    I might be able to handle that, but I'll leave it running as it is for now. It's consuming 87 watts at the mains, which is to be expected being a linear supply, but I need to keep a check on how hot the PSU gets as it's pretty toasty right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast