+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iPhone to Astell&Kern Jr for better streamed music...

I'm James.

Default iPhone to Astell&Kern Jr for better streamed music...

Hi All,

A very happy birthday last week and a new, beautiful Astell&Kern AK Jr which sounds awesome though my SE530's with Snugs! I was wondering though... can I use the AK Jr USB DAC functionality to improve my iPhone 6 when I want to use a streamed service?

I've done quire a lot of research and now have the USB camera adapter and one of the suggested USB hubs (to fool the iPhone) but I still get the "attached accessory uses too much power." message... any one had any success?

Only thing I can think of is use the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and to carry around a power brick too .. seems a bit excessive!!

I have been looking at alternate solutions though... maybe a portable airplay to USB device but I can find one...

Any suggestions welcome that don't involve me changing ether the iPhone or AK Jr?

Cheers.

James

I'm James.

Just tried the USB 3 Camera adapter and it didn't work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm Grant.

May not have the power from the micro usb to run it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A portable usb hub may trick it into allowing this to work, as the phone reads the first item only...ie the hub and not the dac...in theory anyways... iphone i think only allows 5 ma connected draw from micro usb.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The product spec does not make mention of iOS being supported.
    It does mention Windows & Mac OSX.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

This looks like it might do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Char...SIN=B005P2BY5I
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Thanks Stratmangler, I managed to get it to work when plugged in a powered USB hub so I know it's in theory compatible...

And thanks to Struth, I tried a non-powered USB hub and the iDevice still saw the DAC, but the one you linked to may just do the trick.. thanks loads.

... I'd still be interested if anyone found a workaround that doesn't entail carrying batteries...

I wondered whether one of those extra-battery cases might work too??

Thanks

James

I'm James.

Hi,

UPDATE: Just bodged the solution with a USB Hub and a power brick to make sure it's worth doing...... it's not pretty but sounds great!.. So much better than the iPhone on it's own... just ordered the powered USB Hub to make a more permanent solution.. reckon the iPhone 7 might be a goer now too!

FURTHER UPDATE: Just cancelled the order as it looks like the hub needs to be externally powered with mains or a brick.

so.. looks like I need one of these maybe... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recharge-Ba.../dp/B00FYONNBK
    Last edited by Utterchaos; 23-09-2016 at 11:49.

+ Reply to Thread