+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hana MC cartridges?

I'm Kevin.

Default Hana MC cartridges?

Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I've not heard of the cartridges or the company, Kevin. However, I like the description:

Quote Originally Posted by HiFi Pig
    The Hana range of cartridges is manufactured by Excel Sound Corporation, a 50 year old company based in Tokyo, who started off manufacturing low cost cartridges, such as the highly regarded Excel ES70. By 1978 the company was producing MC cartridges, with particular expertise in high output MC cartridges and specializing in OEM cartridge manufacture.

Excel Sound Corporation are perhaps seen as one of those slightly underground Japanese companies and they will certainly not reveal which cartridge brands they have manufactured for over the years.
    Sounds to me a bit like Jelco: a huge and very successful Japanese company, which produce OEM tonearms for many 'famous names', but which also make their own, sold under their name, so you get the same quality of product, as that sold by the 'famous names, without paying for the 'badge'!

That's right up my street, and almost certainly means high SPPV. It should also mean top-notch quality, based on years of experience and the possession of all the right tooling, in order to create economies of scale, thus passing the resulting savings onto customers.

It's the main reason, for example, why the Denon DL-103 is so cheap, and has remained so for years, along with the fact that it was originally aimed at the professional market, which doesn't succumb to often ridiculous 'audiophile pricing'. That's a business model I like

Someone here needs to get hold of one and let us know what it's like - perhaps you? If I were in the market for another low-output MC, the Hana is certainly one I'd be tempted to take a punt on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

This is what drew my attention to them - http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/br...topic2722.html
    Kevin

I'm Robert.

Yep and the quality in the Shibata stylus profile too makes it very interesting

Interesting, and also not surprising to note that it's competing well with some rather more expensive 'badged' cartridges!

Just what I thought.... I'd defo give one a go. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed, and just like with the MC-5000s, you might uncover another AoS 'giant-killer'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting, and also not surprising to note that it's competing well with some rather more expensive 'badged' cartridges!

Just what I thought.... I'd defo give one a go. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed, and just like with the MC-5000s, you might uncover another AoS 'giant-killer'

Marco.
    Not to mention Yannis' cables and so on and so on...

Oh there are quite a few 'AoS endorsed' products around... It's something that I particularly like to concentrate on and develop

It's at the very core of what AoS is all about!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Reading the reviews, people seem to think that the SL is better than the SH, which again means I would need a head amp/SUT.

I really should stop looking at new stuff, and enjoy what I have!
    Kevin

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Oh there are quite a few 'AoS endorsed' products around... It's something that I particularly like to concentrate on and develop

It's at the very core of what AoS is all about!

Marco.
    Too right !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Reading the reviews, people seem to think that the SL is better than the SH, which again means I would need a head amp/SUT.

I really should stop looking at new stuff, and enjoy what I have!
    What do the reviews say Kev, in terms of traits of the cart(s), presentation and so on ? I'd expect great detail retrieval with the Shibata for starters ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast