+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eBay impulse buy! - Accuphase E-202 amp

I'm gone.

Default eBay impulse buy! - Accuphase E-202 amp

There I was yesterday evening, just casually browsing thru the eBay amp listings when this little cutie caught my attention.

£195 BIN price with Best Offer option. After a quick peruse using a well known internet search engine I didn't bother with the Best Offer bit - I just bought the thing outright!

It sure looks the biz, and weighs in at getting on for 20Kg.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts about it?
    Strange, but I can't see the sensor for the remote control on the amp's front fascia ....

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Jerry,
    I'm jealous, very jealous indeed. Your description of it as a little cutie is perhaps a trifle understated! If it's in good nick & working well, you got a fair deal.

100 wpc, variable speaker damping, two tape loops & an extra tape in/out on the front panel, two TT inputs. Build is fantastically sturdy.
    I think you may like it.

I'm Dave.

Cheap as chips. I bought one from E-Bay a few months ago for a little bit more than your's but I have seen them for far more.

I, actually, did the first review in Hi-Fi for Pleasure of the E-202 back in the late 70's and at that time it was a stunning piece of kit. Not only sound but of course the style and build. Even nowadays the construction is far in advance of most hi-fi. Sadly, the sound isn't all that but it's good fun anyway.

Oh, no remote by the way.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A bit "double-cream" on the sound as I remember. Controls can go noisy with age and watch the caps too by now.

As for lustability, these old Accuphase units are awsome and I'd certainly make space for one. The tuners were around the state of the art back then as well, although there were a small handful of others snapping at their heels by 1977-78

Actually, let's put it this way. Would you rather have the E202, or a new Rotel or Cambridge, or even a Nait?????????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Oh, no remote by the way.
    Yeah - I know - I was only kidding!

I've fancied a vintage doo-dad looker for my shelves for quite a while, but the Marantz quad beauties I was lusting over normally fetch twice this much.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Actually, let's put it this way. Would you rather have the E202, or a new Rotel or Cambridge, or even a Nait?????????

Exactly - what else does 200 quid get you?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Exactly - what else does 200 quid get you?
    Indeed - very nice, Jerry!

The Accuphase is eminently tweakable, too... One wonders what a full re-cap would do, for example?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Accuphase is eminently tweakable, too... One wonders what a full re-cap would do, for example?

Marco.
    Yep - I was wondering, too.

I'll see if I like the basic sq, and then whether I want to get it nicely sorted! ... I may come back for reccies of the best way to do this.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No problemo

Like you say, see of you like the basic SQ, and then take it from there...

Did you ever go for that AT phono stage?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Did you ever go for that AT phono stage?

Marco.
    Nope - not yet.

I'm happy enough with the 'stage on-board my UR UnicoPRE, but I'll probably need an offboarder for the PieFi Show, so I'll see what's available nearer the time. The AT is certainly on my shortlist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast