Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting up NVA LS3

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    However it can be a nuisance.. if an inveterate/constant fiddler.. as soldering /unsoldering can be a chore.
    Your dead right, but I could never do it, I'm way too much of a fiddler. Gazzjam hardwired all of his mains, sounds like being in a straight jacket to me
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But you have to remember these cables use a Litz construction, i.e. they consist of several conductor strands (14 in the case of the LS3) that are individually insulated
    NVA cables are not of Litz construction. Just because a cable has individually insulated strands does not mean it can be called Litz.
    Below is an explanation of what a Litz construction is:

Litz wire is a type of cable used in electronics to carry alternating current. The wire is designed to reduce the skin effect and proximity effect losses in conductors used at frequencies up to about 1 MHz.[1] It consists of many thin wire strands, individually insulated and twisted or woven together, following one of several carefully prescribed patterns[2] often involving several levels (groups of twisted wires are twisted together, etc.). This winding pattern equalizes the proportion of the overall length over which each strand is at the outside of the conductor.

The term litz wire originates from Litzendraht (coll. Litze), German for braided/stranded wire[3]or woven wire.

Litz construction causes high capacitance to be generated because of the woven construction and is therefore competely innapropriate in the context of NVA amps.

NVA cables are made of individual insulated cores in each leg but these are not woven or twisted in any way, neither are the individual made up legs twisted together, meaning that the construction is of low capacitance due to the randomised positioning of each strand relative to the other along the length of the cable.

It may sound nitpicky but does IMO need correcting as NVA specifically say in their literature, regarding their power amps, that low capacitance cable is an essential requirement

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Hardly silly questions.
    Direct soldered connections on Amps and Speakers is Far superior to even the priciest connectors made/sold.
    Simple, direct and V effective.
    However it can be a nuisance.. if an inveterate/constant fiddler.. as soldering /unsoldering can be a chore.
    Well that depends, over on the forum which I believe we're not allowed to mention here or you get sent to jail, I'm the biggest idiot in existence.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheShadow View Post
    NVA cables are not of Litz construction. Just because a cable has individually insulated strands does not mean it can be called Litz.
    Below is an explanation of what a Litz construction is:

Litz wire is a type of cable used in electronics to carry alternating current. The wire is designed to reduce the skin effect and proximity effect losses in conductors used at frequencies up to about 1 MHz.[1] It consists of many thin wire strands, individually insulated and twisted or woven together, following one of several carefully prescribed patterns[2] often involving several levels (groups of twisted wires are twisted together, etc.). This winding pattern equalizes the proportion of the overall length over which each strand is at the outside of the conductor.The term litz wire originates from Litzendraht (coll. Litze), German for braided/stranded wire[3]or woven wire.

Litz construction causes high capacitance to be generated because of the woven construction and is therefore competely innapropriate in the context of NVA amps.

NVA cables are made of individual insulated cores but these are not woven or twisted in any way, meaning that the construction is of low capacitance due to the randomised positioning of each strand relative to the other along the length of the cable.

It may sound nitpicky but does IMO need correcting as NVA specifically say in their literatire regarding their power amps, that low capacitance cable is an essential requirement
    The term 'Litz' is used for any cable that uses individual insulated cores. If these cores are connected together at one end or the other, there won't be any 'high capacitance' as this inter-core capacitance will be shorted out.

Anyway we are talking about NVA cable, and all I was pointing out was the fact that the individual cores, or strands, are insulated separately; so re-terminating the cable requires more care than would be needed with the re-termination of a conventional multi-stranded cable.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The term 'Litz' is used for any cable that uses individual insulated cores. If these cores are connected together at one end or the other, there won't be any 'high capacitance' as this inter-core capacitance will be shorted out.

Anyway we are talking about NVA cable, and all I was pointing out was the fact that the individual cores, or strands, are insulated separately; so re-terminating the cable requires more care than would be needed with the re-termination of a conventional multi-stranded cable.
    Yes indeed +1
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Steve.

Whatever

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheShadow View Post
    Whatever
    ohhh, just get my handbag.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12