+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baffle less speaker project/system overhaul.

I'm Gerome.

Default Baffle less speaker project/system overhaul.

Hi all, as promised I'm going to start a little thread on my diy speaker project and system overhaul.
    I have built some fairly basic ladder frames to hold 2x Dayton ib385 15" woofers and a PRV 5" wide bands per side.WP_20160906_21_04_17_Pro.jpgWP_20160906_21_04_57_Pro (3).jpg
    I used different thinknesses of dressed pine then clamped, glued and screwed together.
    Still have to mount the binding posts to the rear leg support then that's the speakers taken care of.
    The speakers will be driven from a Behringer inuke 3000dsp digital PA AMP for bass up to about 300Hz.
    The wide bands will be driven by 2 Temple Audio Monoblocks with each their own separate linear power supply.
    I have still to make all my interconnect cables using Klotz mc5000 and star-line silver plated Eichmann type rca plugs.
    One set of the cables is a splitter that will have one male rca on one end, then a male rca plus a 3 pin xlr on the other.
    The Behringer uses xlr balanced inputs being a pa type amp and the Temples rca.
    My pre (Tubeguru with mm phono stage) only has one set of pre outs so I'm going to get creative with my cable making to make the connections.
    I will post pics as I go.
    Apologies for the weird orientation of some of the pics. I'm new here so hopefully will work it out as I go.
    Slan,
    Gerome
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Gary.

This looks really interesting, Gerome! Is the idea that you wire up the woofers out-of-phase with each other, so they are working in a kind of push-pull action? Looking forward to hearing about how they sound.
    Regards
    Gary

I'm Gerome.

Hi Gary, yes absolutely correct. Once they are fully up and running with the the new amplification I'll switch phase from rear woofer then to front to see what sounds best.
    They look really cool in person I might add. The wife and kids including my 7yo daughter all agree.

As you probably have figured out the design was put together by Vic from Transfi Audio.
    He is guiding me so to speak, really helpful. I have been following his progression with OB since he took on Bastanis. They were always out of my price range so when Vic eventually came up with this current set up i had to get on board.

Progress is a little slow at the moment due to family/work commitments but will have speakers fully finished by week end. Just waiting on my Temple Audio Monoblocks to come so I can custom paint them then stitch it all together and start listening
    Slan,
    Gerome.

I'm Gerome.

Project on hold, sorry to the few who were following. Hit a massive brick walk..... Literally.
    House reno's have gotten in the way of things. Hopefully back on track in a week or so.

I'm Gerome.

That wall has now gotten ten feet taller!!
    Woke up this morning to a burst water pipe in the loo. Whole house flooded.
    Project seriously put on hold.
    Thank god for house insurance and the fact that I spiked my OB's. Water never rose that high.

+ Reply to Thread