+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vertical Tracking Angle

I'm Gary.

Default Vertical Tracking Angle

I recently posted that I had retrieved my record deck and records after probably 10+ years from the loft. Fitted it with Rega Carbon and all was well...........then you know how you get an itch to see if you can make thinks better. Lol

Always heard of VTA, but never explored this.....until last night.

Wow, cannot give any measurements, but whatever the angle was I ended up making it smaller.

Results better tracking, weight reduced from 2.3 grms to 1.8 grms, sounds more detailed.

We learn something every day.

I'm Martin.

That's precision mechanical engineering for you. Tiny adjustments can make a big difference. I thought I had mine set up right until Marco came over and did it properly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm jamie.

if you really want to scratch that itch you'd best get a usb microscope and set the SRA angle which is in effect what VTA is doing but less so,i played with this untill my brain exploded and i lost the will to live.
    these days i get the tonearm tube level and thats it!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

Me too... Level or near level does me ..as long as its not pointing up or going down ar a sharpish angle im ok with. But some folk like the process, and thats fine too, as techy things like that can be fun for some.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugo.

I agree that setting the headshell level is a good starting point, but cartridge cantilevers and tips are assembled by hand and there's a great deal of potential variation between makers and individual examples of the same cartridge. Ortofon seem to have achieved a good degree of alignment accuracy, though, so hats off to them. Miyajima are consistent too, but I have not looked forensically at other makes.

The picture gets even more varied when it comes to re-tipped and service cartridges, where you really are at the mercy of the craftsman involved and his/her skills. I have a re-tipped cartridge whose tip is impossible to align correctly for SRA because to do so involves it dragging the rear of the cartridge body along the LP. It took me a long time to work out why that cartridge never sounded as good as a new example of the same type!

I do more or less go along with Michael Fremer's 92 degree SRA thing, but (mostly) it's not necessary to use a USB microscope (do any of the cheap ones work properly with Windows 10?). A 40x LED illuminated loupe from eBay lets me see the tip alignment clearly enough to get SRA pretty much in the right area. Just set the tip so that it leans ever so slightly forward in the groove, at the recommended tracking force. After that, any differences in individual records' cutting angles, thickness etc are of marginal significance and obsessing over such things from one LP to another rather gets in the way of the music, IMO.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I agree that setting the headshell level is a good starting point, but cartridge cantilevers and tips are assembled by hand and there's a great deal of potential variation between makers and individual examples of the same cartridge. Ortofon seem to have achieved a good degree of alignment accuracy, though, so hats off to them. Miyajima are consistent too, but I have not looked forensically at other makes.

The picture gets even more varied when it comes to re-tipped and service cartridges, where you really are at the mercy of the craftsman involved and his/her skills. I have a re-tipped cartridge whose tip is impossible to align correctly for SRA because to do so involves it dragging the rear of the cartridge body along the LP. It took me a long time to work out why that cartridge never sounded as good as a new example of the same type!

I do more or less go along with Michael Fremer's 92 degree SRA thing, but (mostly) it's not necessary to use a USB microscope (do any of the cheap ones work properly with Windows 10?). A 40x LED illuminated loupe from eBay lets me see the tip alignment clearly enough to get SRA pretty much in the right area. Just set the tip so that it leans ever so slightly forward in the groove, at the recommended tracking force. After that, any differences in individual records' cutting angles, thickness etc are of marginal significance and obsessing over such things from one LP to another rather gets in the way of the music, IMO.
    Excellent post Hugo. Some enthusiasts (they always seem to be American ) will alter the SRA for each and every record they play.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread