+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CELESTION DITTON 15XR SPEAKERS upgrade path question

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Gerry,

As a longtime 15XR user, if the components in the crossovers are no longer performing to spec, I'd upgrade the necessary parts, but other than that I'd leave them well alone, as these speakers were produced in the days when they were 'voiced' by ear by experienced engineers, rather than a computer, so the balance will be spot on for their design.

Like Geoff says, adding another bass unit would just mess things up, and considering the modest size of the speakers, the ABR system does give surprising low-end extension, as indeed I can confirm from playing them through a movie/AV system yesterday!

The most important thing of all is to get them on proper speaker stands, which both support them properly, ensure that they are spot-on level and get the tweeters up to ear height. That done, just sit back and enjoy a 'budget' vintage speaker design, whose talents were never fully appreciated 'back in the day' with the (then) generally much inferior partnering equipment.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

There is one item that stands out in your system to me as not offering the greatest sound and that's the X-LPS. I've used them and not been too impressed. A Graham Slee ERA V Gold phono stage would be an eye opener in comparison. The sound would be vastly improved. The Graham Slee stage improves further if the optional PSU1 larger power supply is used. If the budget stretches, the dearer Graham Slee Reflex M takes things even further.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Coming from being a Kef only fan I'm slowly favouring the older Celestions as I hear more and think the sound can be a little warmer, not harsh in the top and mid like a lot of kefs.
    I bit harsh on KEF, I've heard lots of their old and newer speakers and never heard one that was inherently harsh, but some of the more expensive models are very good indeed and will show up problems upstream with ease. Celestions tend to be more forgiving.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Hi,

Here is what I did to my 15's

1. Complete rewire - silver wire + teflon coating
    2. Installed new silver plated binding posts
    3. Rotated all the drivers in case of any sag
    4. Increased dampening with all internal sides of speaker with 3mm sorbothane
    5. Mounted cross over on sorbothane bed
    6. Replaced all old foam and included more where i could cram it in.
    7. Recapped the XO

Gerry,

I would do the following.

1. Forget adding an extra bass driver. You'd have to spend more money on modding the XO and additional wiring.
    2. Re-wire with some decent 1-2mm Van Damme OFC cable.
    3. Replace the single cap with something decent. Altough keep if still in spec to save a little money.
    4. Definitely get some nice gold plated or solid copper binding posts.

I wouldn't bother with anything else. If I had another pair I'd probably go for the 15's and not the XR's, the 15's have the better tweeter. I would also externalise the XO. It's a nice pair of speakers. Better for the money your paying I'd grab them. Your still going to be able to sell them on.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Not sure I'd put extra wadding in the Ditton 15, XR version included. It's a tuned ABR system that relies on a certain amount of free space in the cabinet to work properly.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

I only ended replacing like for like. TBH it didn't make any difference Geoff. That's why I've highlighted the mods I would do now rather than when I first modded my old XR's.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

For anybody who likes the Ditton 15 speakers (either version), keep a look out for the rare Celestion UL8.

I think it's fair to regard these as the ultimate evolution of the Ditton 15 really.

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I bit harsh on KEF, I've heard lots of their old and newer speakers and never heard one that was inherently harsh, but some of the more expensive models are very good indeed and will show up problems upstream with ease. Celestions tend to be more forgiving.
    OK, maybe a little harsh... I really like the old kefs and agree their more expensive models are superb, looking to grab a pair of 105/3s one day however the q35s for me sounded as if they were missing some depth. Think I'll have to listen to them again if I get the chance because I've read some good reviews for the uni-q drivers and maybe I was biased favouring the older pre 90's kef range to the newer stuff

I'm Grant.

Cara's are pretty good for what they are. good size too. These are my favorite Kefs.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gerald.

Cheers for all the advice one more question any idea on stans for them

Cheers Gerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast