+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balancing a split weight 3009

I'm Horacio.

Default Balancing a split weight 3009

Hi Chaps,

Finally, after receiving my rebuilt 401, 3009 and new plinth I was able to put it all together.

I had about seven 3009s, improved and non improved, but never one with a split weight. I have several manuals but neither one answers my question.

I had the arm tube perfectly balanced but I have no idea if both weight pieces are supposed to ride together or separately.

Please see photos.

Cheers,

Horacio
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by F575M; 22-02-2022 at 01:02.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You are lucky - I've been trying to find one with a split counterweight for ages.

If I had one, I would actually interchange the part which carries the weigh rod with the larger part. I would position the smaller part (carrying the weigh rod) right up against the bearing block, with the transverse distance of the weigh rod/playing weight adjusted to provide equal loading of the knife-edge bearings (as described in the setting up instructions). Then move the playing weight so that the main part of it is in line with knife edge bearings (i.e. in line with the chrome screws of the bearing housing). Now move the larger part of the counterweight so that the arm and cartridge is balanced. Then using a set of stylus scales move the main counterweight forward so the correct VTF is achieved. In doing so, the arm will have been set up so that it has minimum effective mass.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

I'm Horacio.

Thank you, I already have a manual for every version of 3009 but, in my opinion, they are not as explicit as other tonearms manuals.
    Last edited by F575M; 25-02-2022 at 02:39.

I'm Mike.

I had that tonearm purchased new back in the day. The counterweights should be as close as possible with a minimal gap.

+ Reply to Thread