+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartridge Repairs, Retipping and Replacement Styli Suppliers. A list!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alasdair.

Default Goldring G900 stylus

I recently put my old Goldring G900SE which had been retipped many years with a 0.5 thou naked spherical stylus by Expert Stylus back into play. It still sounded very good, so I splashed out £93 on a new hyperelliptical stylus ('Tonar') from Mantra Audio. This is exceptionally good. In my Mayware MkV arm it tracks everything at 1.1g and in overall sound quality clearly beats my previous (very good) Denon DL103 with Esco sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus. If you have an old G900, this replacement stylus is well worth a shot.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlasdairB View Post
    I recently put my old Goldring G900SE which had been retipped many years with a 0.5 thou naked spherical stylus by Expert Stylus back into play. It still sounded very good, so I splashed out £93 on a new hyperelliptical stylus ('Tonar') from Mantra Audio. This is exceptionally good. In my Mayware MkV arm it tracks everything at 1.1g and in overall sound quality clearly beats my previous (very good) Denon DL103 with Esco sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus. If you have an old G900, this replacement stylus is well worth a shot.
    The Goldring always was a very good cartridge and a bit of a sleeper.
    Barry

I'm Angus.

Default Ortofon cartridge re-tip/repair

I can thoroughly recommend Kilian Bakker at http://holisticaudio.nl/services.html. He recently restored the suspension on my Ortofon Vienna and fitted an FGS stylus. The result retains all of the dynamics of the Ortofon Akzent series and adds detail retrieval on a par with the Windfeld.

I believe he used to work for Ortofon, and his services are up there with the best.

I'm Alasdair.

After a lot of happy listening my Tonar hyperelliptical G900 stylus wore out, so I sent it to Expert Stylus for retipping with their Paratrace line contact (£120). The sound is now even better still and, I suspect, fully the equal of a good original G900IGC. For anyone with an old G900IGC (or other G900 series cartridge) in the drawer and a suitably lightweight pickup arm I'd recommend this as a seriously good option.

+ Reply to Thread