+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Altec Lansing horn speakers - any owners?

I'm Andrew.

Default Altec Lansing horn speakers - any owners?

I think this could be my next pair of speakers to try do any forum members own them?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

What do you have in mind Andy, VOTTs?

I've heard a few of the large Altecs with the big compression driver horns. Very enjoyable!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Not sure which ones as they are pretty rare over here. I've been inspired by some of the posts over at jeffsplace.me I quite like the look of his.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

If you like that sort of large, powerful, but relaxed and expansive sound, don't rule out the big Klipschorns either. They sound sublime (to me at least ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Not sure which ones as they are pretty rare over here. I've been inspired by some of the posts over at jeffsplace.me I quite like the look of his.
    Aye check it out http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=9934

The speakers look...capable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mika.

Had pair of original Altec Valencias that ended up putting to Hiragas 360l onken enclosures and Jabo horns plus with modern Xo and stupertweeters. The sound was impressive with my Shindo electronics but finally had to go for something smaller due to house move. If you have the space and are willing to do some mods, why not

Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm James.

I currently use Lampizator P17 DIY speakers, and I'm about to try their P23's
    I the the Altec 420A DC 15" midrange and the whopping Altec 806 horns. I'll keep you posted as to how it sounds compared to the P17's
    How are you doing with my Croft Epoch, did you get it upgraded in the end?

Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Geoff.

Ah. Biflex drivers. You don't see many of those about.

danilo Guest

Sadly; Never owned but fairly often heard .
    Front loaded horns are apparently the 'trick' with the Altecs. (and many other speakers but that's a pointless digression here/now )
    IF you have the space, both in room to house the Rascals And the indoor volume to let them work in ?
    It would be shameful to not have a pair

+ Reply to Thread