+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irrational urge to bi-wire

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's not quite so straightforward as that: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-and-Bi-wiring
    In your opinion Barry, not in mine. That link says nothing new or authoritative to make any sort of evidential based case for it, and it really is that straightforward in engineering terms; Bi-amping is another thing entirely. However, people hear what they want to hear and playing around with hifi is all part of the fun. Not really looking to get into a debate on it, but have offered some sensible, no-nonsense advice and explanation which can be taken at face value or ignored as one wants to. I have already commented that there are exceptions to the rule and these (I repeat) are largely crossover and load dependant. For a well designed/matched crossover, there are more drawbacks than merits for bi-wiring, and most engineers would agree that there's nothing of value to be had by wasting the money on the extra cable lengths.

I'm Gary.

I found that bi-wiring my speakers made a small but audible advance, bi-wiring and bi-amping using one amp for low frequencies and one amp for high frequency, made another advance in sound quality. I offer no technical answers for this, just my ears, my wife also hears this difference, I respect her comments as she is an opera singer of some note.

I'm Grant.

Ive bi amped before and felt i got a small advantage, and also got mono blocks and find them good under right circumstances. Currently just use 1 in stereo mode. Like most things audio, there can be differences depending on systems , but deffo go with removing the usual brass link and using some cable, pref what your using.. Ive cut a bit off before making them up before to use. Think changing cables is perhaps more likely to give improvements for most.
    Dont doubt the ones who have found benefit though, as its possible.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

I've been using a passive bi-amp/bi-wire system for the last 25 years with twin Audiolab 8000Ps driving Tannoy Definition D500 with very early Cable talk (monstrous blue stuff like skirting board). I remember auditioning bi-wire options first and was not convinced. Bi-wiring seems to me to be very amp/speaker dependent - I'm not enough of an electronics whizz to know what connecting the two parts of the passive crossover back at the amp terminals does but Reffc's comments seem to chime with experience.
    DGP

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I found that bi-wiring my speakers made a small but audible advance, bi-wiring and bi-amping using one amp for low frequencies and one amp for high frequency, made another advance in sound quality. I offer no technical answers for this, just my ears, my wife also hears this difference, I respect her comments as she is an opera singer of some note.
    I think with passive bi-amping it only makes a difference if the amps are at their limit so removing some of the stress on the amps will improve the sound. Although a tweeter is not hard to drive so even that is debatable - on paper at least.

Bi-wiring I did for years until I joined here and was told it was pointless. Now I mostly use vintage speakers so can't bi-wire anyway. I've also experimented with using wire jumpers instead of the brass jumpers - could not hear any difference.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Individual ground and signal wiring to different parts of a PCB circuit has shown to have great benefits. See star grounding. From a technical point of view, bi-wiring would keep the distortion from the two drivers away from each other, and termination them at the amps output, where the amp's feedback loop would stand a better chance of making corrections.
    There have been tests that have shown that distortion at the amp's output is higher in bi-wiring. That is to be expected. In the normal wiring configuration the distortion feedback path from the two drivers are cancelling each other out in the cable on their way back to the amp. But by that time the drivers have already pumped out a distorted sound.

I'm Deleted.

I can't say I have vast personal experience of bi-wiring, but I have tried it on a number of speakers. When I used Epos ES14's with Naim amplification I found it made quite a significant difference (which I preferred). Now I use Yamaha NS-1000M's I also run them bi-wired to the mid and tweeter though I haven't tried them single wired (the crossover is actually completely split and the bass is separately wired to another amplifier).
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Keep speaker cable thick and use the shortest lengths possible and there is no advantage to bi-wiring....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Deleted.

Well I use thick cables - they could just about be a touch thicker, but not easily.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Thickest cable of shortest length means lowest resistance and hence maximum damping factor and least effect on frequency response due to interaction with crossover.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast