+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irrational urge to bi-wire

I'm Jerry.

Default Irrational urge to bi-wire

I tried it years ago and it did nothing but the manufacturer of my speakers unreservedly recommends bi-wiring. I have some nice silver cable going spare so its only going to cost a little time.The cable I use atm is Van Damme Blue 4mm.
    Are there any members who consider they benefit from two runs of cable?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Rob.

Try it and see, it's the only way.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dave.

The only benefit with bi-wiring is the removal of the cacky brass connectors usually used between the terminals. Replace those with a decent piece of wire and you've done the job for a fraction of the cost.

I'm Brian.

I bi-wired my Tannoy 637s and it was well worth the effort
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Paul.

No. there are no technical arguments whatsoever for biwiring making one iota of improvement, and in fact, it has been shown that it even increases measurable distortion (not audibly, but measurably, and this was demonstrated by Radford Revival some time back). Using heavier gauge for single wiring for longer runs if you must have more copper makes more sense.

Technically speaking, biwiring modifies the impedance with frequency seen as a load by the amplifier, and in some cases, this can modify frequency response. It is usually small by degree, but is there nevertheless. Typically, overall impedance drops at crossover frequencies, power response slightly increases and small anomalies in FR can occur (for say every 0.1R in series with the amp's output impedance you might see something like 0.1dB change in FR, so the results of biwiring are largely INAUDIBLE). Change single to biwiring and an independent load (cable impedance) is seen in series with the discrete speaker loads. The parallel combination is in series with the amp's output impedance, and at crossover, there can be a slight dip in overall impedance compared with a single wired system. The separate changed impedance loads overall change the roll-off profiles of the crossover slightly.

The exceptions to the rule do exist, which are crossover and load dependant, but these are not common place. For the most part, there are more disadvantage than advantages to biwiring.

There is also an argument that the more cables you introduce from amp to speakers, the more chance there is of RF interference.

However, some more unscrupulous cable vendors and speaker marketeers will push biwiring as it sells more cable, simple as.

I'm Geoff.

I may be talking nonsense, but I've always wondered if bi-wiring or even tri-wiring and so on, affect the phase relationship between the drivers. Especially if differing lengths of cable are used. After all, no two cables are precisely the same length.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    No. there are no technical arguments whatsoever for biwiring making one iota of improvement, and in fact, it has been shown that it even increases measurable distortion (not audibly, but measurably, and this was demonstrated by Radford Revival some time back).
    [...]
    However, some more unscrupulous cable vendors and speaker marketeers will push biwiring as it sells more cable, simple as.
    So, what you're saying is that bi-wiring is voodoo?

I'm Grant.

No your saying that
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    So, what you're saying is that bi-wiring is voodoo?
    No ... voodoo works

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    No. there are no technical arguments whatsoever for biwiring making one iota of improvement, and in fact, it has been shown that it even increases measurable distortion (not audibly, but measurably, and this was demonstrated by Radford Revival some time back). Using heavier gauge for single wiring for longer runs if you must have more copper makes more sense.

Technically speaking, biwiring modifies the impedance with frequency seen as a load by the amplifier, and in some cases, this can modify frequency response. It is usually small by degree, but is there nevertheless. Typically, overall impedance drops at crossover frequencies, power response slightly increases and small anomalies in FR can occur (for say every 0.1R in series with the amp's output impedance you might see something like 0.1dB change in FR, so the results of biwiring are largely INAUDIBLE). Change single to biwiring and an independent load (cable impedance) is seen in series with the discrete speaker loads. The parallel combination is in series with the amp's output impedance, and at crossover, there can be a slight dip in overall impedance compared with a single wired system. The separate changed impedance loads overall change the roll-off profiles of the crossover slightly.

The exceptions to the rule do exist, which are crossover and load dependant, but these are not common place. For the most part, there are more disadvantage than advantages to biwiring.

There is also an argument that the more cables you introduce from amp to speakers, the more chance there is of RF interference.

It's not quite so straightforward as that: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-and-Bi-wiring
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast